Mr. T vs. Best Buy

From the world's stupidest criminals to the hottest court cases, you will find something interesting to ponder here.

Mr. T vs. Best Buy

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:53 am

Best Buy apparently doctored a clip of Mr. T from rocky and played it on TV, without paying Mr. T... atleast they didn't *copy* it, 'cause we all know that copying is far, *far* worse then what Best Buy did!:

http://celebrityjustice.warnerbros.com/ ... 5/19b.html
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:38 am

Hmmm ... well Mr. T makes some interesting points in his interview.
Not only does Mr. T believe Best Buy has hurt his image, he also believes it can hurt his chances of signing endorsement deals with other electronics retailers. He says, “What about some of the other video electronics stores? They say, ‘Well we can't use him cause Best Buy's using him.’ But Best Buy's not using me. They’re messing up my ability to earn more money from other people.”

I am not sure Mr. T is a name that is really conducive to selling electronics ... I think the idea of the Best Buy commercial was he was knocking some sense into a customer or something. Well, that isn't specific to electronics, so Mr. T is missing his opportunity to ask for even more money by claiming it is interfering with his ability to appear in ANY ad spots.
“CJ” asked the star what he’d like to see come of the suit. Mr. T replied, “Two things. In the great words of Spike Lee, ‘Do the right thing.’ And in the great words of Jesse Jackson, ‘Cut us in or cut it out!’”

Jesse Jackson is known for making everything into a racist issue so maybe he could say Best Buy tried to dupe Mr. T because he's black.

All kidding aside, it's not right to use someone's likeness without their permission but this article is only showing Mr. T's perspective and has no insight on how or why Best Buy might have done so.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Nuxius » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:51 am

(going a bit off topic here for a sec.)
I am not sure Mr. T is a name that is really conducive to selling electronics
Doesn't stop Radio Shack from using Shaquille O'Neal.

Also, Mr. T has appeared in those 10-10-220 ads, and he isn't something I'd associate with a rip-off phone service either. In todays marketing, that kind of stuff doesn't matter anymore. All they care about is whether their commercial stands out, and whether you remember it or not.

O.K., back onto the topic, I can't really see anything Best Buy could say to redeem themselves here and like Karen was saying, Mr T. does make some good points in that interview.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Return to The Nifelheim Justice League