Man Arrested for Barking at Police Dog

From the world's stupidest criminals to the hottest court cases, you will find something interesting to ponder here.

Man Arrested for Barking at Police Dog

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:58 am

hehe ... it serves him right. :lol

PALO ALTO, Calif. — Richard Dillon is in the doghouse after being arrested for barking at a police dog.

Dillon, 25, faces a misdemeanor charge that he willfully and maliciously interfered with a Palo Alto police officer's duty by teasing and agitating the officer's dog. Dillon could face up to a year in county jail and a $1,000 fine if convicted.

The incident occurred March 5, when Dillon, a bartender, and a co-worker were walking in downtown Palo Alto and passed a group of officers standing by their patrol cars.

Dillon claims that the dog in one of the cars was already agitated and barking at other passers-by when he returned a single friendly bark.

A Palo Alto police spokesman acknowledged that barking in itself may not warrant a citation, but the law clearly prohibits actions that harass and agitate police dogs.

An Ohio appeals court recently ruled that a lower court judge was right to dismiss charges against a man who was arrested after barking back at a police dog.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:00 am

I bark back at dogs all the time without even thinking about; it's really more of a friendly conversation between strangers than something terribly agitating. And if the dog was sitting in the car, it sounds like it wasn't doing much too much that being barked at once would terribly distract it from.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Some Unreg Punk » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:15 pm

i hiss at dogs like a cat. It makes my cats stop bothering me to go outside or something and sometimes it surprises a dog enough to stop and shut up.

which is good when your cycling.
Some Unreg Punk
Castle Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:53 am

Don't they have leash laws there?

Anyways, I have a dog and I know that when strangers tease them by barking at them that it only agitates them and makes them act aggressive so I can understand why the police would not want their dog all annoyed and tense.

I think the guy was immature and dumb for doing that and deserves to be arrested.

Dogs like it fine when you bark at them when you are playing with them but they sure don't seem to like strangers doing it.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to The Nifelheim Justice League