Telepaths

It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon 5 League was a dream given a forum.

Moderator: lorien1

Telepaths

Postby lorien1 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:01 am

Hi There.If telepaths started to appear in our society.Say
through evolution for arguments sake,do you think they should be regulated by a body like Psicorp?Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby Lord Reefer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:00 pm

I think normals have a right to know if someone can read their minds. However not at the expense of creating a slave race and enforcing sanctions on them. Forcing them to join an organisation is just plain wrong, but maybe a way of showing they are teeps. A tatoo maybe ?

A better solution would be to find a defense for normals to block teeps. (In an ideal world)
Lord Reefer
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:51 pm

i kinda forgot about this thread, heh. anyways, i agree that non-telepaths ought to have a sense of privacy, as should telepaths of a lesser psi degree than others.

i think making them where a tatoo might not bode to well, as that could very easily lead to segregation.

we could do some of what they proposed be done in x-men, but... just as in x-men, i don't believe it'd work.

all in all, i have no idea what'd work, heh.

however, could bester also have been right when he said that telepaths were simply the next step in the evolutionary chain - they were to homo sapiens as homo sapiens were to homo habilus? if things went the way of prehistory, it could be that the telepaths would eliminate mundanes (as they called 'em)... perhapes nothing could really be done to stop it?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby lorien1 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:52 pm

I think a tatoo is a bit like forcing the Jews to wear a Star Of David!The telepaths were created by The Vorlons,something Bester did not know.Some
kind of unintrucive regulation of Telepaths,i think,would be the way to go.Colin.<*>.
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:35 pm

I think a tatoo is a bit like forcing the Jews to wear a Star Of David!

good analogy!

i think byron's proposed solution of a planet, specifically for telepaths, might not have been a bad thing (although its not a solution we, ourselves, could do, atm, heh)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Lord Reefer » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:06 pm

This planet idea was ok but its still segregation and would breed mistust and hatred of mundanes. With the tatoo idea, I'd never thought of it this way. Makes it sound just as bad.

Perhaps the solution would be to isolate and somehow re-create the gene that causes telepathy and offer it to mundanes that want to 'even the playing field'. If this was the case then it would be the closest thing to a true evolutionary step and, most likely, after a few decades almost everyone would be telepathic and then telepaths would be classed as normal.
Lord Reefer
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:21 pm

that does sound like an ideal solution - putting normal people on the same playing field as the more advanced people. of course, it didn't work in babylon 5, with the telepaths, nor did it work in the x-men universe (magnetto tried the same thing in x-men 1). of course, i guess the reasons it didn't work is because if it did, they wouldn't have any more of a story to tell, heh.

but yeah - i think that'd be an ideal solution. although another problem does result... does everyone get these genes? would it just be the people who could affored it (ie. rich people), or what?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby guest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:19 am

would it really be that dangerous/disturbing? just because you have an extra sense doesn't mean you have a background in psychology, and if you do have both you'd need a passion to control others. i'm a psychology major, read tarot cards, have Psylocke (an X-Man TP) tattooed on my arm, and have been seeing therapists on and off for like nine years. my life took these turns because of the need to dig through my own head and clear some things up when i was young so by now i'm pretty good at understanding others' motivations and the psychodynamics that go into their behavior.
i don't really see that as a telepathic sense, more like a learned skill or good "intuition." but the point is, why the hell would i CARE what someone was thinking in a normal situation? most importantly, i think that in reality people who use mental, physical, or intellectual abilities (say martial arts or sex or power at a job) to control/intimidate/manipulate others don't get very far. the people in their lives leave them.

Postby Winkchen » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:56 pm

I don`t think, Psi Corps is a good way, that`s not the wright way!
Maybe there should be an organisation a bit like psi corpse, telepaths should join and get jobs, but they shouln`d be forced to do something, they really don`t want to do, like taking part in experiments that change them or merry someone they don`t love.
I think, it wouldn`t work without something like that, even if they trie not to harm someone, they maybe can`t, they have to learn what they can do and how the y can avoid reading someone elses mind.

Or maybe there could be laws to avoid, that anything happens.
Winkchen
Townfolk

Re: Telepaths

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:21 am

Some of the Babylon 5 books discuss the organizational structure of Psi Corps. As I understand it, it's supposed to be headed by a non-telepath, but beyond that, I'm not really sure. Will have to read them sometime :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Winkchen » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:49 am

I read a Babylon 5 book and it was really bad and I heard, the others are not supposed to be better, there is one good one (that`s what my babylon 5 magazine says), but unfortionally you can`t buy it in germany :|
Winkchen
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:19 pm

I recently bought the first three, although I haven't read any of them, yet. The only reason I'm considering reading them is because they seem to be considered cannon. JMS refers to one in one of the episode commentaries, in fact. One that's supposed to reveal more about the Icarus.

Who knows, though - I may, after I read the first one, dismiss it. Hopefully I won't, but we'll see :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Winkchen » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:37 pm

I read that one just because it was babylon 5 and it was so cheap, 2€ or something like that :lol
I think, if I see another book, I would buy it, although it`s worse, because I`m curios and maybe there`s something about b5, I don`t know :D
Winkchen
Townfolk

Return to The Babylon 5 League