OT Did The Cybermen Inspire The "Borg" Race?

It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon 5 League was a dream given a forum.

Moderator: lorien1

OT Did The Cybermen Inspire The "Borg" Race?

Postby lorien1 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:16 pm

Did The Cybermen inspire the "Borg" Race?

Moonbase Cybermen Attack < Click On Text

"Cybermen are biomechanical men from Mondas, a planet that originally existed in our solar system a long long time ago.... Initially humanoid, the people of Mondas replaced various body parts with robotic implants thus losing their humanity. Cybermen reproduce by converting other humanoids into faithful copies of themselves."
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:40 pm

i imagine the borg were inspired by more than just cyberman...

but, anyways, in looking at the picture of the cybermen... it looks like lego's may have inspired them, hehe :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby lorien1 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:01 am

TerraFrost wrote:i imagine the borg were inspired by more than just cyberman...

but, anyways, in looking at the picture of the cybermen... it looks like lego's may have inspired them, hehe :)

The idea that they "made" Cybermen from people,and enhansed them, is VERY Borg like.In the video clip thet say resistence is useless,very Borg like as well.I beleive they influenced the Borg race idea.Lego.......like it! :lol :lol Colin.<*>.
lorien1
Recruit

Postby Lord Reefer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:14 pm

Although the Cybermen appeared very early on with Patrick Troughton, they actually did it first with the Daleks and 'Robomen' from the William Harknall days long before they gave the Cybermen this ability.

Either way I think you're right. Alot of ideas in American sci-fi originate from classic British Sci-fi.

Jms himself is a self confessed fan of Dr Who and Blake's 7. In fact he says that the unique style of arc story telling (delivering a tv series more like a novel) was done first by Terry Nation in Dr Who and Blake's 7. If only we could still produce these kinds of shows. Having said that, I believe Dr Who returns early this year and Blake's 7 aparently is not far behind. :D :8 :D

Just remembered that Tom Baker was high on the list of actors that Jms wanted for Bab5. That would have been cool !!
Lord Reefer
Traveler

Postby lorien1 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:40 pm

Lord Reefa!!! Good 'Ol British Scifi,not strong on special effects,but on good ideas.Colin.<*>.
lorien1
Recruit

Return to The Babylon 5 League