Harlan Ellison Sues

It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth/Minbari war. The Babylon 5 League was a dream given a forum.

Moderator: lorien1

Harlan Ellison Sues

Postby lorien1 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:40 pm

Harlan Ellison Crusades Against AOL !!!!!
SF author Harlan Ellison is pressing ahead with a lawsuit against America Online for copyright infringement, the Wall Street Journal reported. Ellison charges that the Internet company didn't act fast enough when a fan posted some of his stories without permission on an online forum carried by the service. America Online says it's not to blame and that it removed the stories once it was aware of them, the newspaper reported.

While he is seeking money from America Online, Ellison told the newspaper that the suit is more a crusade to hold Internet service providers accountable for material pirated by their users.

In March 2002, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California ruled that the company wasn't liable. Ellison appealed to the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Ellison's lawyers initially sought as much as $488 million from AOL, according to a court filing. But in his deposition, Ellison said he wants only "to get recompensed for the money I laid out," plus what his contributors gave and an extra $20 for each donor, the newspaper reported.

Colin.<*>.

PS:Story from Scifi Wire
Image"Hope Is All We Have.Do You Have Something Worth Living For"
lorien1
Recruit

Postby tsian » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:48 pm

Thats really, pretty scary.

I certainly hope he loses. To hold ISPs accountable for users actions is amazingly silly and unjustifiable.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:10 pm

i wonder just how fast is "fast enough"...

and i also agree with tsian - if ISP's are to be held accountable for their actions, then should the state of Texas, for example, be held accountable, when one of it's citizens pirates? what about the US? if AOL didn't act fast enough to take the stories down, then isn't it also possible that the FBI didn't act fast enough to arrest him?

if you hold third parties accountable, then there is no end to how many people are going to be accountable, and... that's just stupid, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby lorien1 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:10 pm

:puke Totaly crazy!! Colin.<*>.
lorien1
Recruit

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:46 am

I agree but not being a Babylon5 fan, I have no idea who this guy is ... did he write for the series?

Also, I am curious as to how he fared given RIAA's recent successes.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby lorien1 » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:19 am

Nyufrost wrote:I agree but not being a Babylon5 fan, I have no idea who this guy is ... did he write for the series?

Also, I am curious as to how he fared given RIAA's recent successes.

Hi There.Yip,he is a writer.i am keeping a lookout for any further news.Colin.<*>.
lorien1
Recruit

Return to The Babylon 5 League