Going to Japan

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

Going to Japan

Postby Megafrost » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:32 pm

Hey guys, big things are happening here.

For the past two years I've been dating a girl from Japan. My family and I have gotten to know her quite well. She sometimes goes back to Japan to visit with her parents and her grandmother, and I miss when she does. So much so that last time she went I proclaimed, "Next time I'm going with you." That was about a year ago. I managed to get a job and made enough money to afford a passport and airline tickets (though I've since quit that job).

I'm leaving Monday next week, and I will be staying in Japan for a month. I believe I'll still have internet access, so I can still check up here every once in a while. The potentially hard part is that I'll be meeting her parents. Trouble with in-laws, yes? I'm sure it doesn't help that she will be introducing me as her fiancé.

Yeah, that's right, we're engaged. We're probably going to get married sometime in 2009. I hope that's not too difficult to maintain, I don't expect to graduate from UT until about 2011.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Re: Going to Japan

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:44 am

Dude!!! Congratulations!!! Not only are you getting engaged, but it's to a girl who's from a different country!! Keep me updated on your adventures in Japan. Also, I don't think the whole parents thing will be too much of a problem, so long as you're super nice and polite to everybody. Good luck!!! :hi
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:02 am

I've told you before in person, but again, congratulations :) And have a safe trip. And as mentioned before, if you need a minister for the wedding...... :crazy
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:46 pm

gl hf dd sb!

I'll be going to London, myself, on Thursday, or something like this, for the phpBB Londonvasion :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:28 pm

Eek! Enjoy that, too!
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi guys. I'm in Japan now, in the house of my girlfriend's parents. They haven't outright rejected our marriage, but they're a little skeptical about it. Rightfully so, since to them I'm just a complete stranger. Our plane wasn't much slower than the speed of revolution of the planet, so I saw like 20 hours of daylight. Kinda throws things off.

Also, I need more practice with chopsticks. I could eat veggies and meats okay during dinner, but I didn't have much luck with the noodles.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:11 pm

Megafrost wrote:Hi guys. I'm in Japan now, in the house of my girlfriend's parents. They haven't outright rejected our marriage, but they're a little skeptical about it. Rightfully so, since to them I'm just a complete stranger. Our plane wasn't much slower than the speed of revolution of the planet, so I saw like 20 hours of daylight. Kinda throws things off.

Also, I need more practice with chopsticks. I could eat veggies and meats okay during dinner, but I didn't have much luck with the noodles.

I guess you have a month to warm up to them. Good luck!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:39 pm

Well, they seem to be viewing me in a positive light so far, they're just worried that if my girlfriend (who I shall hereafter refer to as Black, as she refers to herself online) has to go back to Japan and stay there for some reason, that we would separate.
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:51 am

Do Black's parents speak English or is Black acting as a translator?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:21 pm

She is pretty much acting as a translator. Supposedly they can read English, but not speak or hear it.

Anyways, yesterday we went to the next town to do some shopping and stuff. Of note, we pre-ordered tickets for Pokemon Movie 11, which means that we'll be able to get special event Regigigas and Shaymin. I also tried some shaved ice here, which was slightly different in that the flavoring was green-tea and there were sweet beans in it.
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Megafrost » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:58 am

Whoo! I dropped by a video game store today and managed to grab two games for myself: Pokemon Pearl, and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix. I'll probably drop by that store again to get myself Pokemon Emerald (yes, I do need Japanese versions of these games) at some point.

Also, Black and I went to a noodle shop today, where I successfully ate my noodles using chopsticks. I'm also growing to like sweet beans in my shaved ice. =)
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:03 pm

What is this shaved ice? Anyway, it sounds like you're enjoying yourself there, as I probably would too. Black sounds like a nice person! Invite her on sometime! Anyway, I wish you further luck in your future endeavors. :rotf
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:18 am

Just a little note here, the summer festivals are starting. Probably going to walk around and explore for a bit.
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Drazo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:15 pm

I know one way to say "awesome" or "wow" in Japanese but I can't seem to confirm it (or its spelling) on anywhere 'cept from one source which I've long since lost....

Everyone's getting married all of a sudden....maybe because this year's a leap year? :lila

Anyways congrats....and lucky you....having a good excuse to visit Japan. :D *is jealous*
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Megafrost » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Well, yeah, plus I saved up money for the trip. :D

We went and saw Pokemon Movie 11 yesterday. I didn't really understand any of it, but I did obtain 2 event Regigigas, 4 soft-resetable and 8 "junk" Shaymin.
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Next

Return to Tower of Babble