Amazing Storm around Erupting Volcano

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

Amazing Storm around Erupting Volcano

Postby Dracofrost » Wed May 07, 2008 12:42 am

link

(Click the pic for full view)

The BBC wrote:A volcano has erupted in southern Chile, scattering ash over the surrounding area and forcing more than 4,000 people to leave their homes.

The eruption of the Chaiten volcano caught local authorities by surprise, as experts say it has been dormant for at least 450 years.

Chile's national emergency office said that the volcano was continuing to register activity on Saturday.

Sick and elderly people have been evacuated from Chaiten, six miles away.

About 500 people were still waiting to be evacuated by boat.

Residents have been told not to drink the water, because the reservoirs in the area are covered in a layer of ash.

Chilean officials have distributed fresh water and protective masks.

Local hospitals have treated people for breathing difficulties.

The eruption also dumped a layer of ash in neighbouring Argentina, forcing the closure of schools and a regional airport.

Chile is one of the most volcanic countries on Earth, with more than 100 active volcanoes. Of those, experts say about 20 are in danger of erupting at any time.

I'm glad that no one seems to have been hurt so far. However, that picture alone is just pure awesome. It's my new background image for that reason alone.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Re: Amazing Storm around Erupting Volcano

Postby Roadkill » Wed May 07, 2008 11:49 am

Mine too, for the time being!
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed May 07, 2008 7:15 pm

That is a pretty cool picture :)

Reminds me of Mount Pinatubo. A typhoon hit the Philippines while the eruption was taking place and ultimately destroyed Clark Air Base, the largest US military base overseas at the time.

edit: I think volcanic ash naturally produces lightning. To quote from wikipedia:

Loud thunder and lightning as well as the strong smell of sulfur accompany an ashfall.

And here are some more pictures:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... 6&ito=1490
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Catgirl » Mon May 12, 2008 2:17 am

wow, that's a freaking AMAZING storm system!
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Postby Drazo » Mon May 12, 2008 4:11 pm

I don't know whether to be glad or not to be no where near any active volcano....
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Mon May 12, 2008 4:23 pm

This volcano had been dormant for over 1000 years before this eruption. Now the huge ash plume has stretched all the way to Argentina.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Mon May 12, 2008 7:14 pm

It'd be interesting to know how this eruption rated on the volcanic explosivity index.

Also, to pull up another wikipedia quote:

Static electricity generated from ash clouds rolling down the mountain sent out lightning bolts that were up to two miles (3 km) long.
Near the volcano, the swirling ash particles in the atmosphere generated lightning, which in turn started many forest fires.

source

Per this, it seems quite possible that the lightning isn't due to a storm system whose path intersected that of the volcano's, but rather, just a natural consequence of the ash. If that were the case, it also stands to reason that one could make similar photographs of other eruptions.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Tower of Babble