I hate Murphy's law

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

I hate Murphy's law

Postby Megafrost » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 pm

One of our vehicles has this problem where one of the belts in the engine just, slips off. It goes around no less than 5 things, so putting it back on is a pain in the ass for Dad, and downright impossible for me. And I had to use this vehicle because none of the other ones were available.

Today I had an exam in my PC Assembly class, and I'd been visiting with my girlfriend. When I got in my vehicle and started it up, the belt fell off. ARGH! So not only was my vehicle not working, I couldn't get the belt back on and I was nowhere near home, and since all the vehicles were gone, I couldn't get any backup. Did I mention that I couldn't afford to miss this exam? :curse

So then I had to wait until Chronofrost got home from school (about 11:30, exam was at noon), I had to wait for Dad to arrive (commute time about 20-30 minutes), and then I had to get to school and hope I'd have time to do the exam (10-20 minute drive).

Thankfully I was only 10 minutes late for class, but I'm still stressed out. And most of all, I'm pissed off at Murphy's law. FUCK YOU. Why can't we have any good, functioning vehicles like a normal family? :curse
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Re: I hate Murphy's law

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:19 am

How does your girlfriend get to UT? If she takes a bus (or if she's close enough to walk), taking a capmetro bus might have been an option.

Incidentally, what happened to the car? You got driven to ACC (I assume)... I guess your Dad came back and fixed it up, himself?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:13 am

She takes the capital metro bus. It's only free for UT students, right? I had no money with me.

And yeah, he dropped by the apartment, let me use the vehicle he drove there while he fixed and drove the unreliable vehicle.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:29 am

Megafrost wrote:She takes the capital metro bus. It's only free for UT students, right? I had no money with me.

Yes, with a few caveats.

UT shuttles are different than the normal buses (ie. in theory, you're supposed to pay; in practice, you don't), but I'm not sure there's a UT shuttle that'd take you anywhere close to the ACC Campus you were trying to get to (I assume you'd be going to Northridge?).

Day passes are a dollar and a Student Monthly Pass is $5.00 (ref). Some routes (express routes; they have the nicer buses, but I'm not sure if they'd take you were you'd want to go) are express routes, though. According to the page I just linked to, those are more expensive, but... I've been on expresses buses before, without a UT ID card. I've paid for them and $2.00 wasn't what I've paid. Maybe it's gone up since I've ridden them, though...

Also, it's quite possible a day pass purchased on a non-Express shuttle would work on an Express one (not that I've ever tried).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Tower of Babble