random political tidbits from wikipedia

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

random political tidbits from wikipedia

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:10 pm

What does one do after they've been President? It seems like most people just retire and maybe give lectures or something. But, for the most part, it seems like once you've been the president, there's not really much else to do in politics. It's certainly an accomplishment you're not going to be able to top. But then again, who said you need to top it?

From 1975 to 1983, Jerry Brown was the governor of California. From 1998 to 2006, he was the mayor of Oakland. Being a mayor of some city is, if anything, probably a step backwards. Kinda makes one wonder if other politicians have taken such steps backwards.

Also, although John McCain is the presumptive Republican nominee, he doesn't (based on what I've read on wikipedia.org) any Secret Service protection, whereas both Clinton and Obama have it, even though they haven't yet gotten their parties nomination. To quote from wikipedia.org:

Prior to the 2008 Presidential election, the Secret Service generally protected major candidates over the 120 days preceding an election. As a former First Lady, presidential candidate Hillary Clinton already has Secret Service protection. On May 3, 2007, the Secret Service announced that Senator Barack Obama would also have protection following a request from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Anyway, I just thought that was interesting and thought I'd share :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Tower of Babble