Symbols

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

Symbols

Postby Roadkill » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:29 am

Do you guys have any symbols or anything you use, for any purpose? Do you associate your identity as a person with any symbol?

Reason I ask is I made a small investment into a sort of metalic cross. I'm not a Christian and don't claim to be, but I do think the basic principles I live by are, in theory, the same. Also personal experiences with friends could be another reason for this particular choice. It could've been anything, but its a sort of small token as a reminder of what I think I ought be.

A friend of mine got a tattoo of a symbol she associates with her grandfather on her left wrist (vein side), so that she will always see it and be reminded of him. He was the ideal person to her, and the tattoo serves as a reminder for what kind of person she wants to be.

Another friend of mine takes the Eagle Scout thing to core. If you ask him anything moral, or I feel if I asked him this very question, he'd offer up the Scout emblem. That's what he beleives and that is sufficient for him to live to his best.

So, any similar stories here?
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Re: Symbols

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:59 pm

I've been wearing a crucifix around my neck for a while, and alot of people have associated me with that. It's actually kind of funny, because I started wearing it not because I'm Catholic, but because I thought it looked cool. :lila I suppose I'm religious, but I don't usually associate myself with it.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Catgirl » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:36 pm

um... this is a bit of an odd one, but most people I know from high school associate me with a pair of flame socks. Somebody decided at some point they were my "stripper socks" and thus I was the "librarian in stripper socks".
so yeah... flame socks :p
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Postby Dracofrost » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 pm

Librarian in stripper socks? Sounds hot... umm...

Well, for a long time I wore a necklace with a norse rune on it (Sig, to be specific). Though that was more a personal symbol of my relationship with ChatOmbre, which for a long time I suppose I did identify myself by. I would touch it when I thought of her, stuff like that. But I obviously don't wear it anymore...

Heh, I do have this one necklace with Mjolnir on it (Thor's hammer, a symbol of his cult among Asatru). Not like I believe in any deity, but I do find some inspiration and strength in it. I mean, come on...

THOR!

What more inspiration could you want to be a badass?
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Catgirl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:25 am

Dracofrost wrote:Librarian in stripper socks? Sounds hot... umm...

heh... I think Freud might like to talk to you :p
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Postby Roadkill » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:53 am

Catgirl wrote:
Dracofrost wrote:Librarian in stripper socks? Sounds hot... umm...

heh... I think Freud might like to talk to you :p

You know, reading Freud is good comedy. I have to agree with him... taking a dump feels good. But relieving oneself, having something in your mouth, and sexual pleasure should never have been lumped together! I think Freud would much rather have liked to talk to the makers and actors in a certain video involving femmes and a cup, and maybe he would have changed his mind about all that pleasure principle stuff. Or at least stopped being a cynic.

I'm sort of surprised at the responses. After watching some of that horrible film, Jesus Camp, I actually kind of changed my mind about that whole cross thing... at least for a while. Serves as a sort of reminder how symbols are still open to more associations -- good or bad.

I mean, would the Mjolnir be as strong or cool if it was loved and worn only by 6 year old girls who carry barbies around everywhere?

humor aside, the point is, you have to remind yourself to put up barriers -- it means something different to the 6 year old girls (love, friendship?) than it does to you (strength!).
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:07 pm

Yeah, except that there's no problem with that with Mjolnir. Besides, it's a representation of an implement of war and industry (a hammer), not of grim execution and torture. Which I find hugely ironic whenever Christians use it to symbolize peace, love, happiness, etc...

I mean, if Jesus had shown up for the first time during the French Revolution, Christians would probably be wearing a bunch of little guillotines. Or if he'd shown up in Colonial America, little nooses.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby chaotic century » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:55 am

I've only worn 2 necklaces. I don't normally wear necklaces or anything with a sign or anything specific to me, but a few years back I mentor of mine and very close friend gave me a necklace of his. it was a black like plastic with a bit of a chain in the back to connect it and it had a few beads in the front and a silver circle with a cool cross shape. lost it a few years back and was really sad about it because he has since moved away. The second is a necklace of wolfwood's cross from Trigun which you can probably find a picture somewhere of but it's pretty much just a 3 layer chain with the punisher cross. It was given to me by my best friend for christmas, we are both christians as well as my mentor and the crosses do symbolize our faith. my friend gave me the Trigun necklace because of my great love for the anime/manga and for the ideals it symbolizes and as a symbol of our friendship. I gave the same trigun necklace to another close friend of mine and it symbolized a promise that I would always be there if I could. all of the necklaces symbolized so much and are really important to me
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Return to Tower of Babble