Musical instruments

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

Musical instruments

Postby Roadkill » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:54 am

So who here plays anything?

I just got my guitar up here from home, and been teaching myself. I decided this time to play without picks (fingers only) and since I'm teaching myself, I'm taking it pretty seriously. No tabs, sheet music only. Its actually really cool -- I've been listening to alot of guitar instrumentals and classic spanish guitar, and I think I like the acoustic better. Not that electric is all bad (listen to Buckethead's instrumentals!).

I had a teacher who used a Jazz guitar back in high school. I regret letting myself get distracted, because he had a lot of cool tricks and could play beautifully. He played for a local jazz club and taught on the side. He shaved his head and his fingers were incredible gnarly (he never used a pick).

You know, regret about not learning music or musical instruments seems to be a common theme among people here in college. Anyone else got stories?
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Re: Musical instruments

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:03 pm

I played Violin in middle school and high school. Wasn't really very good, though.

In high school, I taught myself how to play Bethoven's Fur Elise and a keyboard with stickers for all the keys for their letter. eg. A-F. Got to the point where I could play it without marked keys, but... that skill has since atrophied. I haven't played either in years.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:56 pm

I played the Euphonium (or Baritone, if you will) in middle school and freshmen year in high school. I was decent, but I had CRAZY stage fright. I abandoned that instrument because I thought it was a terrible solo instrument that had no sex appeal. :p I was such a dumbass. Anyway, I've been playing the guitar for about three years now. I wish I could say that I'm moderately good at it, but I'm not.

I've mostly been trying to learn over-the-top Randy Rhoads songs on the electric more than anything else. I've been making progress, but I really need to open up to new styles. For starters, some acoustic classical pieces wouldn't hurt. Moonlight Sonata would be cool to learn, as would Canon in D (anybody know who wrote that?).
I usually learn with a combination of notes AND tabs. I should try to learn a few pieces using ONLY music to help reconstruct my fluency in sheet music. I don't like only TABs because I don't know which note is played long, short, for an entire measure, or for an eighth of a measure or whatever.
I first started learning guitar from this guy who had terrible teeth and who played in a country band that didn't have any original music. I stopped with him because his sessions were only about half an hour long, and he usually wouldn't even go that long. So I then tried a guy who lived out near my old house named Ryan Lake. This guy was a guitar MONK. When I met him, he had several songs loaded onto his computer, a shaved head, his own band with about twenty original songs (that didn't sound like shit), and the fingernails on his picking hand looked like claws. He really helped me out with a few joints on my technique, he charged the same price the other guy had for about an hour and a half session, and he was just a good buddy to have in this situation.
Anyway, my main goals are to become more fluent in music theory (the problem is that the classes that teach that here are reserved for music majors), learn how to sweep-pick, and just develop a playing style that's just so powerfully original.
I suppose I could also play the bass, unless you ask me to play something by a REAL bass player (ie. Cliff Burton, Steve Harrison, Geddy Lee, and Fred from Dragonforce). :p
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:11 pm

Rapscallion wrote:Canon in D (anybody know who wrote that?).

You mean Pachelbel's Canon? (did a wikipedia.org search for Canon in D).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:03 am

Damn you Terra, you beat me! And yes, Pachelbel's Canon is generally the only music specifically referred to as just "Canon in D".

As for instruments, I tried a few lessons of guitar when I was about six, and of course since my mother is a pianist she tried to teach that to me. However, I rebelled against both and hardly remember either. Which I regret. When I lived in Texas with the other founding Frosts, I started to learn electric bass guitar, and for a time actually was in a small Austin band with J0E64 and another dude. We were called Never Fallen. I was semi-talented, but I never practiced enough to really become nearly as good as I could have. I also only used tabs, not having the drive to learn to read sheet music. I could pick up timing and the nuances of sheet music just from listening pretty well, and in fact mostly just used tabs to get the gist of how to play, listened to the song a few times, and then just memorized it. I never could read anything fast enough to play it full speed if it wasn't already just in muscle memory for my fingers.

I did get pretty good, and before I moved away and sort of gave up on it (I only ever practiced when together with the band, which was kind of hard to do when I was in Georgia), I was beginning to learn some pretty cool stuff. Getting into the more basic works of Les Claypool (of Primus), Jaco Pastorius (of Weather Report), Victor Wooten (of the Wooten Bros, Vital Tech Tones, and other bands...), Stuart Hamm, and John Myung (of Dream Theater) (my personal heroes on the bass). Though to call anything of theirs basic is kindof a misnomer, heh. But since then I've gotten pretty rusty. I'd really like to get back into music more, learn to read sheet music, and experiment with several other kinds of instruments. I have natural talent for the stuff, I just need to apply myself. Maybe I'd get more enjoyment out of electric guitar than electric bass... Though I do love how the bass is so flexible and versatile, since if you're good enough with one you can play percussion, rhythm, or melody/lead.

God knows it'd be much more motivating (and just bad ass) to be capable of playing Slayer, Pantera, and Metallica guitar solos. That'd be fun. Oooh, or anything by Yngwie Malmsteen (like this. I think it'd be a lot more fun to experiment with bizarre instruments like theremins, zeusaphones, and pyrophones, too... or a theremin hooked up to a zeusaphone to make a Thoremin. Heh heh. Or hell, a bass guitar like one of these. Though those might count as pianos almost... or harps if you play a bunch of harmonics.

Sometimes I dream about having my own band. With some years of experience behind me, a good deal of virtuosity built up, some really bizarre experimental shit, but some really badass metal, and totally over the top stage shows (stuff like Rammstein, Gwar, Alice Cooper, the Dresden Dolls, etc.) But that's more of a fantasy than a realistic 'goal' type of dream.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:56 pm

Dracofrost wrote:Sometimes I dream about having my own band. With some years of experience behind me, a good deal of virtuosity built up, some really bizarre experimental shit, but some really badass metal, and totally over the top stage shows (stuff like Rammstein, Gwar, Alice Cooper, the Dresden Dolls, etc.) But that's more of a fantasy than a realistic 'goal' type of dream.

I think we all want that. ^_^
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Catgirl » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:01 am

I have a sadly neglected acoustic guitar that i can pluck out the national anthem and a few other things on :P
that's about the extent of my musical talent though
"Don't fret precious, I'm here. Step away from the window, go back to sleep. Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils. See, they don't give a **** about you like I do"
~"Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War Drums" by A Perfect Circle
Catgirl
Townfolk

Location: in a cold concrete jungle of soul-crushing proportions

Return to Tower of Babble