Announcement

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

Announcement

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Some of y'all may already know this, but...

I'm enlisting in the Air Force. I've decided that right now, college isn't for me, and I would rather do this. Figured y'all should know.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Re: Announcement

Postby Evlfrost » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Do you have enough credit to become an officer?
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Dracofrost » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:10 am

No, but I do have enough to start out as an E2, or E3. (Need to get the details of that confirmed). Plus while I'm in my training counts as college credits in the Community College of the Air Force. And they pay 100% tuition assistance to any college.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:06 am

Good luck.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 am

Thank you.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Roadkill » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:51 am

. . .

Think about it. Right service to choose, and it will still get you around to wherever. . .

Yet, I can't not suggest thinking about it. When you enlist, you give up 4 years of your life. You get opportunities for assistance in college and certain limited benefits out of it, not to mention that feeling like you might just be doing something (versus what you might consider an idle life atm). In the long run, sure, 4 years isn't that much, but this you getting on the start of your life.

I don't know what is motivating this decision, but I urge you to consider staying put and dealing with whatever is here (or not here), and getting that degree first. If problems here are what's motivating you, then push through it, deal with it, stay. Be tough.

Otherwise, especially if my suspicions are mistaken, godspeed, cousin! It's gunna be a good ride.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:02 pm

I agree with Roadkill. Big decisions such as this are probably best not made so soon after experiencing personal loss as you have. If it's something you've been contemplating for a while, that's one thing, but this kinda seems out of the blue...

Regardless, if you do go in, good luck! You won't be the only *frost in the military, although you will be the only one in the Air Force.

If you were to go in, incidentally, do you know what you'd be doing? I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that only a small percentage (<10%?) actually fly planes.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:40 pm

From what I understand, (as dictated by my father who is and was a pilot) to fly a plane, you need to graduate from the academy and then do a few weeks of pilot training and other assorted training. If not that, you could go through some kind of Air Force ROTC program and then go through pilot training. Sound right, Roadkill?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 am

To clear up a misunderstanding: I've been thinking about this all of last semester, and decided upon this course significantly before Chat dumped me, if that's what y'all are worried about.

Also, as for what I'll be doing, ideally I'll be working with Space Command, either talking to satellites, working on ICBMs, or the like. It seems like something I would be very interested in and greatly enjoy. To be a pilot, first of all you have to be an officer, which I don't want to jump immediately into. Also, you need to have above a certain standard of vision.

Also, being an officer is a longer commitment. I'm going for the minimum commitment deal (4 years active, 4 more years inactive reserve). Now, if I decide I really like it and want to make a career out if it, I would likely go to OCS (Officer Candidate School) like my (and Giga, Mega, Chrono, and Joe64's) grandfather did. Also, military medical insurance (especially in the Air Force) would definitely cover eye surgery, so I could even become qualified and become a pilot. But that would be later.

As an aside, even as an enlisted man I can essentially get my private pilot's license for free. There are aviation clubs where pilots on base will volunteer their time and various planes, and all that you have to pay for is gas. Considering the prices of plane rental and instruction time in the commercial sector, that's an insanely good deal. So I will fly planes... but that won't be my job.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 am

Dracofrost wrote:To clear up a misunderstanding: I've been thinking about this all of last semester, and decided upon this course significantly before Chat dumped me, if that's what y'all are worried about.

Good to hear :)

Space Command sounds cool. Maybe you'll get to work in the exciting field of deep space radar telemetry (that's a Stargate SG-1 reference)! :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 am

ah, well no worries then. Enjoy it!

And yeah, very few end up being pilots. Especially fighter pilots -- you have to have a very specific body frame, too... my torso is an inch or two too tall for the seats, even if my eyesight was perfect. Most you'd get is stuff like C130s and such... which is not bad at all, but not exciting either.

Last I checked, OCS is not a huge commitment. ROTC and academy are the life suckers.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:55 am

Well, I think I'd rather fly me an A-10 or an AC-130 than a fighter. Though if I were a multimillionaire with the money to waste, I would definitely be for fixing up an old F-104. Those things are sweet...

Or I guess I could take grandpa's route and fly reconnaissance. Be really sweet if I could fly an SR-71. Haha.

But like I said, I probably won't end up an officer and pilot. It's still like an 8 year minimum commitment instead of 4 years, for an officer, I think, whether OCS or not.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Roadkill » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:56 pm

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:h7 ... =firefox-a

3 years... in other words, no more than the standard 4 year enlistment contract. Commitments in the military don't add up, you serve each of them concurrently.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:42 pm

Well, I would still have to finish off a bachelor's degree before I'd be qualified to be an officer. Which I can do while I'm in, and plan to. But that'll take time, since I'll be working full time.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:50 pm

I was under the impression you actually had more freedom as an officer since you could resign a commission, whereas enlisted personal have no equivalent ability?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Next

Return to Tower of Babble