a surprise.....

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

a surprise.....

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:29 pm

Well, today, me and my brother stopped at Safeway to buy some flowers for Mom (it's my parents' anniversary tonight and Dad has to work) and I saw some some old friends who had enlisted in the marines. It was really weird. The one guy, Josh, I'd hung out with all the time sophomore and junior year of high school. He had gotten fatter, but hadn't really changed. The other guy, Travis, I've known for a while too. He had no hair, and no facial hair. It made him look like a boy. Anyway, they asked me what I was doing now and I told them that I was studying sciences and engineering at ASU. They spent a summer getting their ass kicked in boot camp, shaving their head, learning how to kill, and being sent out to the field. I have read books about astronomy, geology, learned basic Calculus, and studied all of my course work enough to barely pass all of my classes. Have I turned into what I told them I hoped to accomplish? I'm not that much stronger, I'm not that much smarter, and I haven't had a haircut since June. I also haven't improved my musical talent any which is bad(actually, I haven't played my guitar for about a month now), my kickboxing trainer seems to be trying to discourage me, and the novel I'm writing actually kinda sucks. And instead of finding a girl I really like, I think I've just found more reasons to hate the modern relationship.
I guess my point is that I feel completely disappointed with myself. They fulfilled their ambition right on the spot and are being paid. I can't even get a frickin job at Blockbuster, and I haven't done an eighth of life's ambitions. Anybody got any advice?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: a surprise.....

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:26 am

Have I turned into what I told them I hoped to accomplish?

You're still in college - even if you were making straight A's, would you still have turned into what you hoped to accomplish? I'd actually say that you're still in the bootcamp stage and you'll probably be there for... I dunno... 3 more years?

Don't expect success overnight. It'll come eventually, I'm sure :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:51 am

I'm not necessarily looking for success..... just improvement in my skills. But you're right... I shouldn't be worrying about this for a few more years. Thanks! :hi
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:27 am

Just continue doing what you can now. No better excuse to kick yourself in the ass and work harder than reassessing your goals and realizing that you're disappointed. Need to improve your music skills? Start practicing, daily. Make it a habit. Need to become stronger? Lift heavy weights, every other day, eat plenty of food and get plenty of sleep.

Need to become smarter? Again, get plenty of rest, eat healthy foods including a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, make sure to get plenty of vitamins and minerals, and stimulate your mind frequently. Exercising and practicing your music will help, as well as give certain parts of your brain time to recover and relax after hardships of studying.

If your trainer is discouraging you, work harder to give him proof that he's wrong.

And keep writing that book. Good writers don't spawn magically; they start by being bad writers. Just like anything, you sound horrible when you first start practicing, but you have to keep practicing, figuring out what you're doing wrong and what you're getting right, before you can become any better.

Stick with yourself, and have faith in your own abilities. As Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right."

...now if only I would consistently follow my own damn advice...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:08 am

Thanks for the righteous advice. The Henry Ford quote was nice. :8
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Roadkill » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:30 am

I don't know why you are comparing yourself to a couple marines. Maybe they might think things are nice and dandy now... but wait another year... one of my friends fucking hates it. Another person I have had to deal with I'm told used to be a good person, then went to the Marines for training... came back and tried to rape one of my good friends. It's a tough life -- psychologically, it changes people, and not in good ways. The ones who come out ok, they are proud they did, but it's not something you can really desire.

You on the other hand, have the opportunity to pick and choose exactly what you want to do with your life, and at college you are more or less surrounded with people that can help you along with any of your ambitions. I decided I want to try music again... so I'm picking up my guitar, teaching myself, and taking chorale at the school -- it's like free music training and music theory. There's tons of stuff you can do, and its all within easy reach.

Don't worry about the job. Blockbuster isn't glorious, and chances are you'd come back and complain about it if you had gotten it. Look at student positions -- heck, I don't know how it is over there -- but I've known people, self included, who basically just walked up to desks at the library or other student staffed buildings and asked if they needed help and presto! Several bucks an hour doing something easy, at a place where they can probably accommodate, or at least understand, the need to study or whatnot. If you don't have a job... practice, do something worthwhile, instead of just sitting around mulling these things over in your head. It'll drive you crazy.

Only thing is really, just count your blessings. Going into service is not all that glorious crap the recruiters tout.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:20 pm

See, I think that's my problem. I've always thought that being in the military was one of the most glorious jobs in life. But whatever. I've been over this for some time now. Thanks anyways!
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Tower of Babble