I'm sort of hating my life right now......

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

I'm sort of hating my life right now......

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:54 pm

I am completely at the bottom right now. To start, I'm failing Pre-Calc. :pissed :curse This is pissing me off for a variety of reasons.
1.) I took this class in high school and passed it.
2.) The teacher is some 24 year old girl who seems dumber than the whole damn world.
3.) I know this stuff, but the teacher has completely changed the terminology.
4.) Nobody in the class speaks to each other, therefore, I feel completely isolated and alone.
5.) I think everyone is getting a better grade than me.
6.) I need this class or I will not be able to take Calculus for Engineering 1,2, and 3, which are all required for my major.

On top of that, my English teacher (the most unorthodox, liberal minded person ever who looks like Charlie Chaplin) has been giving me alot of low grades on everything I turn in. He always writes "it doesn't flow" or "it doesn't fit my format." I've been making sure that everything flows, and he always marks me down regardless of how close I am to his format. To be honest, I don't even think he's reading my papers. It freaks me out to know that this guy owns a small name publishing company; I wonder what he would have said to J.R.R. Tolkien, or C.S. Lewis, or Charles Dickens, or other great writers of the past. :yuk
Lately, I've been going to kickboxing only once or twice a week. This week, I was going turn it to three times, but I've suddenly brought back a sickness from Prescott, where I went this weekend to learn that the Christian organization I was friends with turned out to be just another bunch of fundamentalist zealots who waste thousands of dollars going to foreign countries every damn summer to convert buddhists. So, I now have a fever, I've received an e-mail from the scholar's office telling me that I'm dangerously low in Pre-Calc., I'll be missing out on techniques and exercises in kickboxing :cry: , I just found out that I missed an online homework assignment, and I get to miss a lab tonight on Astronomy because I have to wait for this damn fever to pass! And .......And of all this, I missed too many classes for the adult confirmation program, that I have to wait until February to get confirmed in the faith I was born to, know, and love. Hopefully things will look better this weekend, or I may jump in the blender.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: I'm sort of hating my life right now......

Postby Roadkill » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:41 pm

That's kind of suck about the math stuff. Have you looked around your residence hall for study groups? People would gather in the study lounges frequently for calc in my experiences. Even if they are not in the same class, or several levels above you, finding someone with a math book open and asking for help is not a bad way to make friends. If they don't have the time or patience, oh well, there tend to be plenty of understanding students around. At my school they have a math lab, where anyone with problems can go in and get help from random TAs -- I'd look for a similar program, and since most TAs are students too, it's not a bad deal. Or just go around and harass random TAs. :p

If you would like some help going over papers, send them my way and I'll give you my opinion before you turn them in. English has always been a kind of hard class, anyway, in college. Writing argumentative papers, often times against facts, just plain sucks.

Also, i know some friends who have missed tests because they are sick, but didn't make the trek to the health center. On test days and such "sick" is an excuse unless you go to the health center and get a note for that particular day, and often times teachers don't even honor that --- and if that happens, go to the dean.

But yeah, college sucks in that you aren't really allowed off if you're sick. You still gotta hit the books and try to make it to class anyway.

And hey! Cheer up! College is tough, but there's plenty of chance to redeem yourself. Most of my friends start off the semester bad, but "are good at digging themselves out of holes." My semester isn't really going any better -- it's just another cycle.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Re: I'm sort of hating my life right now......

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:30 pm

hey thanks. Things are starting to look up. I'm still sick (no fever, though. only a cold), though I spoke to the TA about missing the lab, and she told me I'm aloud to miss a single lab for the class. There are several tutoring sessions (especially for math), and I'm starting to attend lately. I've been calling my brother every other day and been telling him, "TAKE AP ENGLISH CLASSES!!! I KNOW IT WILL SUCK IN THE SHORT RUN, BUT IT WILL BE AWESOME FOR YOU TO NEVER TAKE ENGLISH IN COLLEGE!!!!!!" My English professor is starting to be more clear now in expressing what he wants, so things are looking up. Hopefully all of my other classes are going swimmingly. The downsides of the week are that I have two big tests next week, and I have to go meet a councilor to talk about choosing classes for next semester (I guess they do this for everyone who has a single low grade). Hopefully, I will pass English this semester and next semester (it better not suck next semester too).
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Tower of Babble