"Pretend to be a Time Traveller Day"

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

"Pretend to be a Time Traveller Day"

Postby Dracofrost » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:36 pm

Better than Talk Like a Pirate day? Perhaps, perhaps...

Dresden Codak wrote:You must spend the entire day in costume and character. The only rule is that you cannot actually tell anyone that you are a time traveler. Other than that, anything's game.

There are three possible options:

1) Utopian/cliché Future - "If the Future did a documentary of the last fifty years, this is how badly the reenactors would dress." Think Star Trek: TNG or the Time Travelers from Hob. Ever see how the society in Futurama sees the 20th century? Run with it. Your job is to dress with moderately anachronistic clothing and speak in slang from varying decades. Here are some good starters:

- Greet people by referring to things that don't yet exist or haven't existed for a long time. Example: "Have you penetrated the atmosphere lately?" "What spectrum will today's broadcast be in?" and "Your king must be a kindly soul!"

- Show extreme ignorance in operating regular technology. Pay phones should be a complete mystery (try placing the receiver in odd places). Chuckle knowingly at cell phones.

2) Dystopian Future - This one offers a little more flexibility. It can be any kind of future from Terminator to Freejack. The important thing to remember is dress like a crazy person with armor. Black spray painted football pads, high tech visors, torn up trenchcoats and maybe even some dirt here or there. Remember, dystopian future travelers are very startled that they've gone back in time. Some starters:

- If you go the "prisoner who's escaped the future" try shaving your head and putting a barcode on the back of your neck. Then stagger around and stare at the sky, as if you've never seen it before.

- Walk up to random people and say "WHAT YEAR IS THIS?" and when they tell you, get quiet and then say "Then there's still time!" and run off.

- Stand in front of a statue (any statue, really), fall to your knees, and yell "NOOOOOOOOO"

- Stare at newspaper headlines and look astonished.

- Take some trinket with you (it can be anything really), hand it to some stranger, along with a phone number and say "In thirty years dial this number. You'll know what to do after that." Then slip away.

2) The Past - This one is more for beginners. Basically dress in period clothing (preferably Victorian era) and stagger around amazed at everything. Since the culture's set in place already, you have more of a template to work off of. Some pointers:

- Airplanes are terrifying. Also, carry on conversations with televisions for a while.

- Discover and become obsessed with one trivial aspect of technology, like automatic grocery doors. Stay there for hours playing with it.

- Be generally terrified of people who are dressed immodestly compared to your era. Tattoos and shorts on women are especially scary.

And that's it. Remember, the only real rule is staying in character and try to fit in. Never directly admit you're a time traveler, and make really, really bad attempts at keeping a low profile. Naturally, the dystopian future has a little more leeway. And for the record, I've already tried out all of these in real life, in costume. It is so much fun you want to pee yourself.

I've set the tentative date for December 8th.

This sounds absolutely awesome. I'll also share some other people's suggestions that I found particularly amusing, like:

Fetterkey wrote:The classic version of this is to get some kind of smoke bomb or smoke machine, as well as an anachronistic costume. Wait for someone to walk past an alley, then set off the smoke and stagger out, looking dumbfounded. If they don't run away, grab their shoulder and ask what year it is. If they respond, shout "The experiment was a success after all!" and run away. It works even better if you can get some friends wearing suits and dark glasses to go to the person immediately afterwards and ask if they've seen someone matching your description.

Dresden Codak wrote:It's best not to do it on a college campus. People expect stuff like this. Urban areas are the best due to population density and relative anonymity, but the suburbs can work too, if you're creative. Heck, just going outside a coffee shop with a "tricorder" and inspecting people while trying not to make a big deal out of it works.

Unluckyguy13 wrote:If the weather isn't great (raining, snowing, overcast, whatever) walk up to some random person and ask "What's wrong with your city's Atmospheric Stabilizer?" If they ask what you're talking about, quickly change the subject.

Make up swear words or exclamations and use them a lot.

If possible, get a friend to dress up as an android servant and follow you around. Make sure they make no facial expressions and talk in a monotone voice or not at all.

Get some cheap digital camera memory cards or something and try to use them as currency.

I think I wanna do this, probably in Atlanta, maybe in Little Five Points, maybe Downtown. Anybody else interested? Hehehehe...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Re: "Pretend to be a Time Traveller Day"

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:50 pm

alot of the dystopian future ones sound fun. I think I'll be too busy mourning John Lennon and Dimebag Darrell, and Pearl Harbor, to do anything else that day. :cry:
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:54 pm

But what an excellent way to honor them! Just ask what year it is, then go "NOOO!! I have failed you, John Lennon!", or the same with Mr. Darrell.

Or something like that. Yeah. Hehe.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Wolfie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:05 am

That... sounds awesome.

xD
ЀA†H comes like £iƒε,
sometimes forced and unwanted and sometimes loved and longed for.
How will you Ði€?™
Wolfie
Legendary Guard

Return to Tower of Babble