martial arts....

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

martial arts....

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:22 am

just curious, but is anybody here currently studying some kind of martial art, or in the past has studied it?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby chaotic century » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:02 am

I've never done any kind of martial arts... I used to kind of want to, then I didn't really care... but I did and still do want to learn kendo.
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:48 pm

yeah. I was just asking because it seems like everyone I know is studying some kind of style. Roadkill is studying some branch of Kung-Fu, my brother and my dad are practicing Shaolin Kung Fu, another cousin is doing some sort of kickboxing, my friend did aikido, another has been doing Tai Kwon Do, it's just annoying. I'm getting ready to join this one Muay Thai gym near ASU, so it should fun.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby chaotic century » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:23 pm

My dad was looking into tai chi, I would be up for that. I don't really see martial arts in america as more than just some way of exercising and learning some flipping moves. I bet they don't even teach about the mental side of martial arts. It's about gaining control of yourself physical and mentally. That's why I would go for tai chi I just think it has more of that in it than just any old karate. People just want to do karate because they see it in movies and want to learn how to beat people up. Kids think because they take karate that they can take anyone on. I've heard kids talk crap about taking karate and being so good and they can easily be taken out by no more than brute force. Now there are some people who are good at karate and probably could back up what they say but that's pretty rare. I think martial arts are great but it's not really ment for fighting it can be used for it but that's not the only thing it's about. But most people fail to see that...that's just my kinda view of it all...>.>
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:23 pm

I know what you mean. I know people who it's like they took a martial art just so they could talk crap to people without them kicking their ass. it really bugs me and has ended several friendships of mine. :bleh But that's what's great about Tai Chi and Kung Fu; they both try and establish a sense of morality and calm. I went to my brother's dojo (or whatever the chinese word is) for a free lesson, and a huge portion of it was clearing your mind, controling your breathing, and Chi techniques.
The main reason I'm practicing Muay Thai is just to strengthen my body, and basically to use when somebody tries to kill me. :winky Seeing how that never happens, I'm probably never going to use it.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:44 pm

Yeah, but better paranoid and powerful than, umm, dead. From the sounds of it, Muay Thai or Lethwei (the Malaysian version of Muay Thai) would probably be among the best martial arts you could take to condition yourself to genuinely kick ass. Though Kali Escrima would be good too, at least in a "mugger with a knife" situation.

I've taken Choi Kwang Do in the past, as well as Modern Defense, the first an outbranching of Tae Kwan Do, the second a breakaway from Choi Kwan Do after it became a McDojo sortof system. More interested in transmitting meaningless cultural knowledge of Korea to the students and getting money from the students, than actually teaching them self defense.

I'm interested in studying martial arts again, however I cannot afford anything decent, nor have I found anything I particularly want to study near my college.

And CC, what you were saying earlier about not teaching the mental side, or even how to really fight, just exercise... that's completely dependant upon the quality and the content of the school you go too. Yes, the majority of schools are pretty crappy, don't teach poeple much... but that's because there's so little oversight in the martial arts business. Practically anybody can claim they're good and start a martial arts school, Fill kid's heads with bullshido. And so few people going to look for a martial arts school know even what to really look for, so they get taken advantage of by the bad ones.

http://www.bullshido.net is a good place to learn about what to avoid, and what to look for, though it obviously has an emphasis on/affinity for combat sport-oriented martial arts. But hey, at least with those, you know it's still regularly tested in fights, ya know?
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:07 pm

I did Tae Kwon Do for a while.

My dad was looking into tai chi, I would be up for that. I don't really see martial arts in america as more than just some way of exercising and learning some flipping moves. I bet they don't even teach about the mental side of martial arts. It's about gaining control of yourself physical and mentally.

It's interesting that you say they don't teach you about the "mental side of martial arts" while, at the same time, say that it's about "gaining control of yourself ... mentally".

Sure, if all you're going to do is get a white belt, you might not pick up the "mental side of martial arts", but if you're going to go all the way to black belt, I would quite disagree.

Of course, like Dracofrost said, I guess it does depend, also, on the school.

People just want to do karate because they see it in movies and want to learn how to beat people up. Kids think because they take karate that they can take anyone on.

I don't disagree. It seems as though the epitome of martial arts, today, is to get yourself featured in movies.

Consider Bruce Lee. In the 14th century, he might have been one of the most feared warriors in all the world. When one king wanted to assassinate another (presumably very well guarded) king, Bruce Lee might have been the person that you would have sent. He'd have been the one person for whom no protection was enough.

In the 20th century, however, it doesn't matter how fast and how hard you can deliver a punch - what does matter is how quickly you can get someone in the cross hairs of a gun. And that's assuming that you don't just bomb your target from high above (I don't think perry's work to well against AGM-65 Maverick's or drive-by shootings).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:57 am

I stick with what I told you earlier...

Stay away from Wushu and Karate. Karate isn't necessarily bad, it's just not developed -- I view it as a underdeveloped version of kung fu. Competition goes until a hit is made and then the fight is reset. Doesn't condition your mind or body well. Additionally, many of the moves are underdeveloped and sort of jerky, lacks the fluidness and body knowledge that is required for something else.

Muay Thai is considered one of the best fighting systems in the world. They have a lot of awesome tricks -- and when I speak of tricks, I'm not talking about flips and Wushu crap, I mean elbow blocks, for example -- something simple that can make the other guy regret really fast taking you on.

Why Wushu is bad -- huge risk taking moves. Leaves a lot to chance -- they keep themselves open and are not cautious at all.

TKD has a lot of good kicks, and it's especially useful when you rach 2nd or 3rd degree black belt -- for kicks. It lacks good arm technique, or locking techniques. I haven't done it, but the black belts we have in choy li fut kung fu have awesome kicking legs.

But not all teachers in any of the styles are good teachers of the style. Talk to upper level students in and outside of the school, go to the school and watch what they do. What kind of techniques do they stress -- is there anything missing? Does the strong punch look powerful, do the blocks look like they would work against a full power blow, is the free spar jerky or are the opponents able to transition rapidly from one move into the other? (But if you are not familiar with body mechanics and martial arts, this might be hard to determine). A lot of times you'll see a demonstration where they have a guy through a lead jab -- and then avoids it by stepping in the other guys guard and doing some other technique -- they completely ignore the power hand which they would have stepped right into -- even the most inexperienced fighter would have brought that hand forward. It seems obvious, but it happens more than you think.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:07 pm

where do you find people who study Wushu??? O.o
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Dev » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:48 pm

i do brazilian ju jutsu at renzo gracie's academy in lower manhatten.
Fosty wrote:"My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them."
- Mitch Hedberg

CrustyPunk wrote:Talk to Orion. He plays gee-tar."

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Postby Rapscallion » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:04 pm

cool. what rank are you?
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Re: martial arts....

Postby Wolfie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:10 am

Used to study KungFu and TaiChi...

Might start up some stuff again now that I've been training with the 3 sectional staff...
ЀA†H comes like £iƒε,
sometimes forced and unwanted and sometimes loved and longed for.
How will you Ði€?™
Wolfie
Legendary Guard

Return to Tower of Babble