lost ebay auction :(

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

lost ebay auction :(

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:52 am

i was trying to bid on an auction, and i bid about two hours before it was over...
i then went to a test an hour later, and when i got back, i had been outbid, and had lost :(
and i would have bid more, too, had i known they were going to bid more! what's really ironic... if i hadn't got into a sorta bidding war on ebay, he could have gotten it for a lot less, heh. so i guess he payed for it. but i would have been willing to pay for it, too!
so for all potential ebay'ers out there - the best way to get a good price is too snag the bid a minute before the auction is over!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:30 am

Hmm ... too bad you lost ... don't they have an auto bid feature??

Did you hear about the guy who was arrested today for the big E-Bay scam he was pulling on customers all over the world??
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:44 am

they do, but if you use that, you open yourself to others pushing up your bid price.
and also, *most* people on ebay don't seem to do this. just because they have a max one time when they bid doesn't mean that's *really* their max. because of this, if you don't give them the chance to increase their max bid again, then you can get it for a cheaper price.

and nope - i didn't here about that guy, either. i haven't had really any bad experiences with ebay, actually. the closest i came was with a guy who said that i was outbid via an email bid, which is stupid. email bids bypass proxy bids (aka the auto bidding feature) so both the buyer and the seller lose out. the seller gets less money than he could have gotten, and the buyer doesn't get what he was prepaired to spend his money on in the first place. i posted on a newsgroup just to make sure, and they confirmed this. they recomended i report him to safeharbor, which i didn't actually do, but threatened to do in my follow up emailer.

the fact was... i was (and still am) pretty new to ebay, so sellers might mistake that for my being gullable, which i'm glad to say wasn't the case. also, the seller had sold lots of items before. he knew that email bids weren't allowed. however... that said, even if i did fall for his ploy, it wouldn't really have been *that* bad. i don't think i would have had to pay, anyways. and i wasn't really concerned about it, anyways - it was for a product which i won for a $1.25. so even if i do have to pay it, so what? so all in all, the one potentially bad experience i could have had on ebay wasn't so bad in a lot of ways :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rend » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:23 pm

What kind of scam was this person pulling?
And what were you bidding on?
Also, where do you find interesting stuff on Ebay, anyway? I've hardly ever visited the site, but when i did it was a bit confusing.
"Bubba, this is not football or war."
~Soccer coach to 'Bubba', a football player in need of a sport.

Viva la AVATAR OF TWO!
Rend
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:43 pm

i'm not sure what type of scam the person karen was talking about was trying to pull off - heck - i didn't even know it had happened :lila:

as for the item i bid on and won for $1.25, it was an ADND Gold Series CD-ROM, with 9 games. It's pretty old - Giga used to have it, but I think they lost their copy a long time ago...

the item i was bidding on and lost, it was a sorta encyclopediac CD-ROM for Babylon 5 :)

As for where you can find stuff on ebay... just do a search on the main page, for whatever you want to look for! :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:23 pm

perhapes this is the scam that you were refering to, nyufrost?:
http://www.atuan.com/caught.html

it's actually kinda scary, although it does have some good advice! like doing reverse phone look up's, etc :)
oh - and also, there is a lesson to be learned from this... never ever accept COD's. if someone scams you with a credit card, you still get the money - and they get the credit card company after them. and no one can really scam you with money order's, as they're pretty much like cash. and at worst, paypal is like a credit company. at best, they're like a money order, as they're tied directly to your actual bank account.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Tower of Babble