cricket invasion

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

cricket invasion

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:12 am

in the past two or three days, i have found and killed five crickets in my appartment, and... when i walked outside, today, i found four crickets on the side walk (i'm on the first floor)...

perhapes it's time i talk to the appartment people about exterminators. in the mean time, are there such things as cricket trapes? i have cochroach traps, but i don't have a problem with cockroaches, heh.

and it's sorta ironic... i used to pick up crickets and grasshopers all the time. i would throw 'em into the web of a spider that we had for one summer. now, the idea of touching them repulses me, as do spiders, heh. of course, my take towards wasps has never changed. they are still the scarriest insects out there, by far. their huge evil red dragon like appearance... ack

EDIT: just killed two more crickets, and when i walked outside to throw out some trash, armies of crickets hopped out of my way..
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:53 pm

Sounds like it's just becoming cricket season?

At the swimming pool, the crickets can get very numerous. They've never been as bad as one year, but they're still pretty numerous. Most of them drown in the pool...

Anyways, some years ago I was swimming twice a day...once at ~6 in the morning, I think. One day when I went to swim, the south wall of the pool building was covered with crickets! Hundreds of them! And that wasn't all...all the concrete south of the building in the pool area was also covered with crickets!

I don't think I've ever seen so many...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Toby » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:02 am

I don't really tell people this but am afread of crickets.
Formerly 'The Muffin Man'
Toby
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:04 am

well, atm, i'm just totally annoyed at crickets... in a period of over six hours, i have killed four crickets, and am waiting for another one to start hopping about so i can bring the grand total of dead crickets to five.

Sounds like it's just becoming cricket season?

i actually didn't know there was a cricket season, heh. most people i complain to actually say that, too... and this is the first time i've heard of it, heh. i feel left out!!! well, maybe not, hehe. i dunno :)

Anyways, some years ago I was swimming twice a day...once at ~6 in the morning, I think. One day when I went to swim, the south wall of the pool building was covered with crickets! Hundreds of them! And that wasn't all...all the concrete south of the building in the pool area was also covered with crickets!

wow - that's pretty bad! atleast they weren't in someone's place of residence, though, heh. having tons of insects outside is one thing - they live outside. but having them in my appartment? ick!

EDIT: six crickets i have now killed, today...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Apollo » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:26 pm

Round Rock High School is infested i bet you that each teacher kills at least two a day.
Apollo
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:17 pm

well... i would rather kill two a day then seven a day (i saw and killed another cricket as i was trying to go to sleep, which brings the total number of dead to seven - atleast for that day).

and... i saw another cricket, today! i was going to cook some lunch, and it was in the cabinet with all the cans! thankfully, everything is in plastic bags, but still! i hate crickets!

every sound i hear, now, i am paranoid, is a cricket.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby OmegaFrost » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:01 pm

Hmmmmmmmm......... They say killing a cricket in youre home brings bad luck maybe it is manifesting itself as more crickets that you keep killing perpetuating the cycle :lila . Or on a more scientific note you are lowering there population meening that they have a surplus of food and thus reproducing more. Solution find their food supply and remove it.

Daleks from another dimension!

"Mark... Mark... Mark... there are not ninjas following you around acting like their going to kill you... Just one! His name is Roger and hes really pissed!"
OmegaFrost
Frost Scientist
Frost Scientist

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:23 pm

well, last night was relatively cricket free, hehe :)

also, i'm sure the crickets have a food supply, but i don't think it's in my appartment... for one, i don't have any good in my appartment, and have gone out of my way to throw food away into the dumpsters (not even in my own trash cans, atm). also, the crickets aren't appearing at one location. they're all sporadic, in my appartment. almost as if they're trying to map it or something, 'cause they don't know where any thing is, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Murphy » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:20 am

heh, terra do you have trouble sleeping? i mean the annoying sound they make :) it would make me insane i cant even take clock's that makes the "tick"-sound every second.:)
Sir. Foolishness!
visit our webcomic! http://www.twisted-irony.com (oh yeah it's currently, dead, deeead)
Murphy
Elite Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:01 am

well, i hadn't had much trouble sleeping, b/c the crickets seemed to have stopped comming, for a few weeks, after some pest control people came out, but... that's apparently changed... the crickets are back, and i've killed around 3 or 4, today...

yesterday, in fact, was particurarly scary... i was trying to cook supper, and i heard something above me. thinking it was a wasp, i ducked. then, i heard something land on the floor. i looked, and lo and behold... it was a cricket! i guess it came out of the air vent, or something. anyways, i promptly killed it, but still... that cricket could have landed on me!!! ack!!!! yick!!!
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:03 pm

Or worse.....in the supper. :puke
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Gigafrost » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:06 pm

Which reminds me. While I was walking to school today there were an unusual number of crickets on the sidewalk by the HEB. I haven't seen any before, but today there was maybe 20 as I walked.

Of course, that wasn't the only unusual thing I noticed. I also noticed that there were alot more people out and about and doing stuff than usual, and that all the lights in the parking lot were off, and that the guy that I usually park behind (he sleeps in his car there) was parked in the parking lot this time.

Very odd...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Dracofrost » Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:57 pm

Maybe you should start catching them and cooking them. I hear that cooked crickets taste alot like popcorn, and are crunchy and fluffy like it, too.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:41 am

Or worse.....in the supper.

hehe - good point! although, as it turns out, the supper i was cooking didn't taste uber good, anyways, so i kinda threw it away, heh.

Maybe you should start catching them and cooking them. I hear that cooked crickets taste alot like popcorn, and are crunchy and fluffy like it, too.

all you've done is hear about it? i'm disappointed in you, draco :lila:

hehe :)

anyways, i killed a grand total of eight today...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:08 pm

I haven't had any cricket attacks....yet.

But they're prolly not after food...crickets and roaches like strange things....the glue that holds paper bags together, old newspapers....
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Next

Return to Tower of Babble