your plans, for life later on..

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

your plans, for life later on..

Postby Kaos » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:18 am

remember when you were a kid (physically, cuz i know i'm still i child in my mind :lila: )

you prolly said what you wanted to be when you grew up? (for the grown ppl) did your childhood dream come true, (for the non-grown ups) do you think that you will become just that, or something else?

i remember saying i wanted to be a veteranarian, but now i want to be a psycholgist more than anything... soo, yeah what about u?

Kaos v.2 Chim Edition
Kaos
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:40 am

I said world ruler. :lila:

I think I may aim just a little lower now, though. Besides, all of my plans for domination involved massive military domination, peace through force, and that'd just be mean and unfun for everyone.

Now I'm thinking I'll just try out acting and music. Who knows, I may have some talent at one or the other. :lila:
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Dalaran » Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:44 am

One's dreams are not limited by one's choice of vocation... I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up, and I AM a teacher, but my vocation will most likely be an engineer.

On the other hand, I'll proably never be an astronaut... *falls over*
Envoy of Balance
Dalaran
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:29 am

i just want success, heh. for just about all my life, i thought the best way i could acheive that was by becoming a computer programer, but... that has, in recent times, begun to change, mainly through what i consider to be rather bad strokes of luck. fact is, i am a clutz when it comes to work. and in the more concrete sciences, like computer science and math, these kind of mistakes really add up. for computer science, i'll code something using some basic design, and it won't work. i'll spend a long time *trying* to track down the bug, but i won't be able too, so i'll have to recode using the same design again from scratch, just hoping that i don't make the same mistake. now on projects, this just ammounts to lots of waisted time, but on tests this is a very, *very* bad thing.

all i still want out of life is success... i'm just not so sure anymore that computer science is the answer... :(
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:48 am

I thought about many different things I wanted to be when I grew up... they changed all the time when I was little, LOL.

Although every since I've gotten older, I've always wanted to be a level designer for a videogame company.

Unfortunately, there was nothing like that around in my area, so I tried out Computer animation, Toy Story type stuff, becuase that was something else I was also interested in.

But that didn't really work out, so I just went into the more general 'Multimedia', and developed webpages for a while when I got out, which made me a lot of money (about $4,000-$6,000 a month) but when the web industry crashed, well that was the end of that.

So here I am...

I still want to be a level designer some day.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:44 am

you mean a level designer for games? that'd be neat! :)
you could design a level in which megaman faces his arch enemy - the ice version of himself - megafrost! :o

and that's really cool that you actually made money designing homepages! when the internet boom was still going on, i knew lots of people offering web design services. they knew html, and had some appreciation for aesthetics, but never made a dime. i just assumed it was because the market was over saturated with web page designers, and that the only people who did it were actually groups of people who were gods at aesthetics, heh. although then again... i was in high school, heh.

and having seen your avatars and sig images, you seem to have a really good appreciation for aesthetics, too - better than almost anyone (if not everyone) i knew in high school, so that certainly had to help :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:37 pm

Well, the things was, back in those days (and now), you have to know who you're making the website for. Obviously you're not going to approach a website for a clothing store the same way you'd approach a website for a technology based firm.

I think the thing that really helped me was that I was out in it at the forefront of the boom, so I built up a good reputation fast. Most of the people down here (including myself) charged about $2,000+ for a single website, and I easily got, at the very least, 2 a month done. Usually more though.

Of course, with prices like those, you just kinda know there's no way it'd last forever, so when the crash came it really didn't suprise me much.

I had planned ahead and saved a lot of what I made instead of spending it, so the web crash didn't hit me quite as hard as it hit others.

Of course, I still had to go back down to doing regular plain old jobs, using pretty much none of my college skills whatsoever, but at least I know my college paid for itself, so it's not that much of a big deal.

I feel more sorry for the people who graduated right at the end of the boom, and right before the crash, man that must've sucked. I doubt they'll make the money back they put into college anytime soon.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. :)
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Return to Tower of Babble