Cyber Stalkers

General on-topic discussions about what's going on in your life or in the world around you

Moderator: OmegaFrost

Cyber Stalkers

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:33 am

I have just read some exciting and interesting material on cyber stalkers that I thought I would pass on.

1. Most cyebr stalkers are men

2. They are most commonly found in chat rooms or on message boards

3. They most often spread rumors about their victims that they make up to make the other person look bad to others; they pass out personal information that they may have learned; frequently they employee fake email addresses to try and send you a virus; if they are computer savvy they may try to hack you.

4. They are normally obsessed with the victim for some reason ... it can be because they think the victim should have romantic feelings for them or it can be because they wish to have power over, and control, the victim.

The cyber stalker's personality is best described as charming. There are 5 other indicators that I won't mention because they require exolanations. I'll post a link at the end of my post.

This #1 tip for dealing with a cyber stalker is: "Do not personally respond to the stalker's attention, not even to tell him (or her) to get lost. (People erroneously believe that a rational conversation will dissuade such people.)" Interesting, no? I always say avoidance in the answer! :thumbs:

There are 37 tips total ... the final one was to be aware that cyber stalkers will try to use your online pals to try and get to you and to try and get info about you.

I read several articles but this is the one that has the most info: http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminology2/stalkers/7.htm

I seem to have a cyber stalker!!! :shock:

Does anyone else have one?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Kaos » Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:58 pm

well...it's kinda on and off line >.<
he won't leave me alone...and i don't like him at all....and he's scaaaary *hides under the bed* o_O

Kaos v.2 Chim Edition
Kaos
Heroic Guard

Postby Dracofrost » Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:25 pm

That's some scary stuff; makes me glad I'm not being stalked.

...or am I? :shock:

that'd be scary, but I'm not, thankfully.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Evlfrost » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:03 pm

Are you sure about that Draco? The truth is I know every move you make on the computer.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:24 pm

Yeah I know how you feel, Kaos. That sucks.

There is a person who stalks me online. They fit all the criteria of the FBI's cyber stalker profile so it's pretty weird.

And, they do all the things associated with a stalker ... like follow me from one board to another; try to get messages to me through others after I blocked their screen name on AIM; started rumors and told lies to cause trouble for me; and so on.

They are very charming so other people like them and they tell most others that they really like me and don't understand why I don't like them, so others think I am being mean by not talking to him thus taking his side without knowing the full situation. Then they turn around and tell other people what a b**ch they think I am. Like a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde personality.

Scary, eh?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:44 pm

Well, at least online you can be another MoonStoneSpider about it (aka am I a guy or a gal? Do I live on the earth or on the moon? Am I a spider or a human?)

Offline stalkers are better able to become a physical influence...in my opinion an offline stalker is much worse but a online stalker is, possibly, more annoying... :\

Oh well. Here I am babbling when I should be studying...

*goes to study after wishing everybody good-luck with stalkers*
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Kaos » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:10 am

hey giga, they are mch annoying. at least online you can block them or make another sn to find relief...but when you have no choice but to see this person everyday....it wears on the nerves.. :shock:

poor karen...do you want me to send the persn a hate mail? :lol: (j.p)

That's some scary stuff; makes me glad I'm not being stalked.

...or am I?

you are..i am your stalker! *cough* oopsie :oops:

Kaos v.2 Chim Edition
Kaos
Heroic Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:17 am

Well ... that's true Giga. But, if someone was obsessed with causing problems for someone with a Moonstone Spider-like online persona they could certainly start some nasty rumors and say they were facts they had learned and make their online life quite unpleasant.

And, sure, I could make a new screen name and get lost .... but then I would miss the people I truly enjoy interacting with ... this is one thing the internet stalker has going for them ... they also know many of the same people you do, and even if you change your name, they eventually find another way to make your life hell because they charmingly wheedle info from your pals and find you. :)
Last edited by Nyufrost on Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:19 am

Kaos do you have a cyber stalker, or physical stalker?

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Kaos » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:24 am

both >.<

there's two actually, and they go to my school.

so they see me and they won't leave me alone..and the older one is always online IMing me into pointless convos <_<

Kaos v.2 Chim Edition
Kaos
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:02 am

aren't you, by even posting this, violating their number one suggestion? :lila:
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:34 am

I don't see how when I didn't name any names or point the finger at anyone specifically.

However .... you could be right. :p
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:34 am

well, assuming the stalker knows that he's stalking you, and others aren't stalking you, it seems to me like it would be a response of sorts :lila:
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:45 pm

Well you could get either your brother(if you have one, or some friends to take care of them.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:19 pm

her brother would have to be pretty "tech savy" to take care of him ;)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Next

Return to Tower of Babble