The growing problem of RWTs, and the wrong way to combat it

Fans and addicts of the popular online game can unite here to share tips or brag about their accomplishments.

The growing problem of RWTs, and the wrong way to combat it

Postby Megafrost » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:59 am

Real-world traders have always been a problem. In order to farm large amounts of gold to sell for real life money, these people use autoers to gather large amounts of materials, not only crowding the places that people gather these materials from, but crashing their market prices.

So, Jagex has been making increasingly drastic steps in order to combat them. First was the introduction of random events, which were a minor annoyance. They didn't work.

Next, they split up rune essence into two types, regular rune essence which could not make member-only runes, and pure essence, which could only be mined in members. This change drastically rose the price of runecrafting, pissing off runecrafters. This update didn't work.

About a month or so ago, the Grand Exchange was introduced, allowing large amounts of players to trade with one another. However, each item was given an "average market price" and could not differ more than 5% from this price. The prices are supposed to update themselves each day to reflect player demand, but I suspect it only updates based on completed sales, and the average price of some items is way out of wack, making there be no sales whatsoever for that item.

The same day, general stores were changed so that, instead of selling any items sold to them for regular in-game price, they sold them for grand exchange prices, thereby killing any reason to buy anything from them. The biggest problem with the update that day was that, in order to combat RWTs, they changed the duel arena. Duel arena was popular for "staking," in which players challenge each other and put a stake on the outcome of the battle. Many players would stake matches for hundreds of millions of coins at a time. This was destroyed when Jagex put a cap on the value of a stake match: 3k.

Boom. An entire legion of players destroyed in one update. Stakers no longer had a reason to exist. All to combat a couple of RWTs that threw matches to trade gold.

Duel Arena, unfortunately, was only the first to go. Today, death was changed so that you could no longer loot another's corpse. Only you can loot your own corpse. That's not so bad, except for the pking area, where pkers no longer got anything for their efforts. Of course, to combat this, Jagex creates a "Bounty Hunter" minigame that's supposed to be similar, separating pkers from the rest of the wilderness. To make up for the lack of pkers, they try to make Revenant monsters to attack players in wilderness. Of course, revenants aren't nearly as dangerous as real players, and pkers hate the Bounty Hunter minigame because clans rule the place, making solo bounty hunting pointless.

First stakers, now pkers.

The real kicker, however, is that next month, they fully intend to force all player trades to be "balanced." Compared to Grand Exchange market prices, a trade on one side cannot be worth 3k more than on the other side. Items that you drop do not show for other players if it is worth more than 3k in Grand Exchange.

Merchanting, one of the most popular ways of making money, is now DEAD. Drop parties, one of the most favorite ways of celebrating achievements, is now DEAD. (while you can try and do something similar in Pete's party room, it's not the same, and it advertises the drop to the entire world, and nobody likes uninvited guests) Many other things have been hurt with this. Players can no longer lend an expensive item to another player. I cannot give expensive gifts to people for Christmas. And teams that go to monsters to kill them and obtain expensive items? Well how are they gonna split the loot for that item now?

You wanted to combat real-world traders, Jagex? Well done. You killed them. You've also killed any enthusiasm I had left for this game. And if your rants forum is any clue, you've killed it for thousands of other players as well. RWTs were a problem, but I'd take them over this.
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Re: The growing problem of RWTs, and the wrong way to combat it

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:02 am

That sucks :(
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Re: The growing problem of RWTs, and the wrong way to combat it

Postby Megafrost » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:26 pm

Almost one week later.

Jagex has stated that they will not take back these updates, and that they will instead tweak them to help alleviate the players' concerns, while still combating RWTs. While I'm certain that they will indeed try to make the best of these updates, the fact is, I don't really want to be stuck using a bunch of work-arounds to be able to do whatever I want in this game.

Fact is, the major appeals to me for this game were the freedom and the community. One of the things I was always hoping for when playing Runescape was that, someday, I'd be able to play with my real life friends(and siblings) and share my (Runescape) wealth with them. These updates, even if tweaked, constrict my freedom too much. And with that constricted freedom, I wouldn't be able to share with any of my brothers even if, for some reason, they decided to start playing again. Even if Jagex were to turn the clock back, however, I've realized that I'm really sick and tired of playing a game that everyone I know ridicules, and doesn't take seriously. I'm sick of being one of the few people I know that plays the game.

I quit. I don't want to play Runescape anymore.
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Return to The RuneScape League