Medical Malpractice?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Medical Malpractice?

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:03 am

Has everyone heard of the teenaged girl who died over the weekend after a heart and lung transplant?

Apparently, it was her SECOND operation in a very short time because her original transplant was performed using organs from a donor with type O blood rather than her own blood type and so reporters are making headlines like "Teen dies after botched transplant" which indicates the doctors did something wrong.

Biology was not my best subject but I thought type O blood was compatible with A or B but those two were not compatible with each other? :?

Anyways, in reading about the story, I learned that the girl was smuggled to the US from Mexico so she could receive the operation. In essence, an illegal alien received 2 sets of organs, both of which went to waste. Her family refused to donate back any of the organs so they might be used to save someone else.

Hospital officials said they have to treat everyone equally in medical situations even if it means putting foreigners on organ transplant lists higher than American citizens.

Does anyone else feel that is just not right or is it me?

Futher, I heard the family has retained a lawyer and is contemplating a malpractice suit against the hospital. Should they be entitled to this even though they smuggled her in to the country for the operation?

For clarification, I am sorry the girl died or even was so bad off that she needed such an operation to begin with ... I am questioning whether non-citizens should be entitled to equal treatment as citizens and if they should have the right to sue.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:15 am

hmmmm... i really dunno...

but i *do* think that she should have been required to be an organ donner, since organ's were waisted on her. i think that anyone who recieves organs should be required to donate them..

and yeah... i thought O was the universal doner as well... and AB was the universal recipient... maybe i have it switched, or something...

also, i think there's the whole +/- aspect of blood, as well. if you have O-, you may not be compatable with O+? i dunno, heh.

anyways, perhapes she should be allowed to sue the hospital? then the government can arrest her for being an illegal immigrant and set her bail at every penny of what she gets for the malpractice suit. i mean, the hospital *should* have checked... but an illegal immigrant... bah...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:53 am

Well, since she is dead she can't very well be arrested and the hospital *did* know she was an illegal ... they said they are compelled to give the SAME priority to non-US citizens as they are to US citizens ... which I found to be a bit ridiculous.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:07 am

i mean arrest her family, hehe :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:33 pm

Well personaly I dont think anybody should sue. I belive that the reason health care is so exspensive is because doctors are so scared of getting sued that they have to carry a ton of medical malpractice insurance. A pharmisist that I met carries over $1,000,000 in insurance. And I dont belive that non-citizens should get as much as citizens.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:23 am

well, health care is also so expensive because, for one, there are hardly any organs, but a high demand, leading to increased prices...

doctors usually get 200,000+ (iirc) upon leaving med school, which is a lot.

medical equipment is uber expensive as well...

health care just isn't a cheap practice any way you look at it.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:56 am

No it isn't .... but I agree with Evl that frivolous lawsuits *do* drive the costs up even higher than they would ordinarily be.

One of the best example I can think of is Zion vs. New York Hospital. This was a really intense and revealing trial.

Amy Zion, a college student, was not feeling well after a party so some "friends" dumped her off in front of the hospital where someone found her and took her into ER. She was alert enough to talk to doctors and they asked her what she had taken and whether she was on any medications.

According to records, Amy denied taking anything and said she was NOT on any medications.

She was hospitalized for observation and when she complained of being in great pain, she was given Demerol (a common pain reliever) and died.

It interacted with the cocaine she had been snorting at the party and with the Nardil she was taking for depression. Her failure to tell doctors about taking those things cost her her life.

However, her parents sued New York Hospital and the ER doctors for malpractice and negligence. They won and the doctors lost their licenses and the hospital had to pay a lot of money!

I'm sorry Amy died but geez ... why ruin the lives and careers of the doctors who tried to save her but were given misinformation by her ... isn't she responsible for her own death?
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:53 am

well... i think she is responsible to some extenct, but... if testing for cocaine was a quick, simple, and cheap procedure, then they should have done it, imho. i mean, i can't see any reason not to do it if it meets all of those criteria.

now if it didn't meet those criteria, then i would side with the doctors... i mean, if it wasn't quick, then... who knows? she could have died before the test results came through, or something! or if it wasn't cheap... why bill every patient a 100,000 dollars or so? well, i guess not cheap is a relative term, but anyways...

i can see both sides, sorta...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone