Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:23 am

Controversy seems to have sprung up as of late over the expressions "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays". The arguments used by both sides are pretty much the same as the arguments used for any issue involving the seperation of church and state - that "Happy Holidays" advocates are, albeit unintentionally, undermining the "magic" of Christmas and that "Merry Christmas" advocates are demonstrating a lack of respect for other religions. Or something like that.

Anyway, this makes me wonder - which term do you use and what do you think about this whole debate?

Personally, I think it's stupid. Not for the reasons enumerated upon here, mind you.

An underlying assumption of this debate is that the term "Happy Holidays" is intended to, simultaniously, mean "Merry Christmas", "Happy Haunukka" and "Happy Kwanzaa". I don't think it does. I think "Happy Holidays" refers, simultaniously, to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Hence why I use it. Even the most conservative of people has to agree that itt's more convenient to say.

Also, lots of "Happy Holidays" stuff are adorned with Christmas decour. Doesn't that suggest that "Happy Holidays" is geared towards Christmas?

I further think that Christmas is so commercialized a holiday that it really ought not even be called a Christian holiday any more. I mean, sure, its historical roots may be Christian in nature, but so to are the roots of Halloween, as I understand. Testament to this is the fact that even athiests celebrate Christmas.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:46 am

To me "Merry Christmas" refers specifically to Christmas day and "Happy Holidays" refers to the holiday season which includes Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the new year.

I don't care which gets gets used (I use them interchangably) except when someone is pointedly making a fuss about it (ie. giving me a card that says "Happy Holidays" doesn't bug me, but having a "Holiday Tree" will drive me mad wondering what the hell one is).
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:01 am

Evlfrost wrote:(ie. giving me a card that says "Happy Holidays" doesn't bug me, but having a "Holiday Tree" will drive me mad wondering what the hell one is).

Havent seen that, yet, heh.

Incidently, the song "Deck the Halls" says "'tis the season". The only season it could be refering to, imho, is the holiday season. Since I doubt the author of this song was trying to be politically correct when he wrote it, this seems to be more evidence tending to support the assertion that Happy Holidays is not collectively refering to Haunnuka, Christmas, and Kwanzaa (which wasn't even around back then) but rather, New Years, Christmas, and perhaps Thanksgiving.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Murrian » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:39 am

Merry Christmas Image
Murrian
Townfolk

Return to Twilight Zone