Most Influential People of the Last 1000 Years

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:36 pm

Oh ok ... well, here is the official list from BIOGRAPHY MAGAZINE .... there is also one in Time Magazine but it's the same, I think.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:35 pm

What influence did Edgar Allen Poe have over the world? How did his poems affect the world at large? What did Shaksphere do that changed the world?

they *did* have a profound effect on writting ;-)

although that said, the reason i didn't immediatly say shakeaspear is that i'm not sure how important literature really has been to society as a whole...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:14 pm

Well I dont disagree entirly with that list, but I would have put Galileo higher up.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Javafrost » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:39 am

I don't like lists like this. It's totally opinion, but presented as of it were fact. The selections are way too biased, in my opinion -- heavily weighted from the point of view of our culture. our country, and our time. Other than Gutenberg as #1, I'm not sure I'd agree with any of the other placements on the list.
"Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Javafrost
Recruit

Postby Evlfrost » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:17 pm

LeftyRashka wrote:I don't like lists like this. It's totally opinion, but presented as of it were fact. The selections are way too biased, in my opinion -- heavily weighted from the point of view of our culture. our country, and our time. Other than Gutenberg as #1, I'm not sure I'd agree with any of the other placements on the list.

Who would be on your top ten then?

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:46 pm

Who would be on your top ten then?

you don't really have to have a list to disagree with another...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:45 am

I am just curious as to who she would have put on there.

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Nyufrost » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:42 am

I haven't really looked at the list but I can kind of imagine the people on it. My thoughts on such things rarely coincide with those of others.

I tend to pick people like Jacques Cousteau, the French oceanographer/diver whose invention of the Aqua-Lung (scuba equipment used by divers) opened up a whole new world to explorers and historians. Cousteau's invention paved the way for all of today's deep sea treasure hunters and underwater archeological discoveries. Despite his great contribution to society, not many people ever think of Cousteau as an influential person yet he was. In fact, in my college English class, we had to write a paper on who we thought was the most influential person of the 20th century and I chose to write about Cousteau.

I would also put Elvis Presley on the list because he was responsible more or less for the invention of rock and roll.

Criminals have an influence on society as well and I think one of the most influential people is early Mafia man Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel for he conceived the idea of Las Vegas (now the gambling capitol of the world) and he built the original hotel called the Flamingo Hotel. Seing such a mecca in a barren stretch of desert was quite visionary.

I agree that Princess Diana was a very infuential person on society. Her wedding and her funeral were two of the most watched events in television history. Her hairstyles, clothing styles and even her jewelry were imitated world wide. She also did a tremendous amount of charity work and actually went into squallid, unhealthy and dangerous situations to help the underpriveleged children in poor nations.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:42 am

When I look on my desk, the first thing I see are... books, and my computer. Books are a direct reminder of Johannus Guttenberg, and my computer is a reminder of the contributions Newton made to the field of Physics (after all, the most basic parts of any computer is a transistor - something that was born out of Physics).

What I don't see is anything having to do with scubadiving, rock and roll, gambling, or Princess Di. While those may or may not have significant influences on society, I sure don't see it from my vantage point.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone