consent for abortions

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

consent for abortions

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:23 pm

should women be able to get abortions without their husbands consent?

on one hand, the "child" that they would abort isn't just theirs - it's the fathers, as well.

Also, would-be fathers can't *make* women get abortions, if they don't want to, so it doesn't necessarily seem unreasonable that men be alloted the same trump power.

On the other hand, men are able to sever all ties with an unborn child much more so than women are (esp. seeing as how the child is kinda stuck in them, heh).

All in all, thinking about this issue has made me conclude that I don't know what to think. So please tell me :)

Whether or not I'll agree / disagree is something I can't say, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:21 am

adultery, i think, is a main reason.

Since i personally don't care unless the woman stalls in her decision or waits until her belly bulges to go do it, i can't say that i would care about this law.

Ultimately it is the woman's choice. It has always been teh womans choice.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Dev » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:34 am

It's been ALWAYS the woman's choice. Ever since they got their rights.
Fosty wrote:"My fake plants died because I forgot to pretend to water them."
- Mitch Hedberg

CrustyPunk wrote:Talk to Orion. He plays gee-tar."

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Postby shahmask » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:19 am

with more restrictions placed on abortion, and, what may be the overturning of roe vs wade within the next few years, women will be left with few options but to resort to what they did before the legalization of abortion. it consisted of underground abortion facilities or "self abortion". underground isn't safe for the mothers as there aren't regulations or accountability. afterall, it is an illegal institution. the self abortion isn't safe either. woman used everthing from hangers to pouring lysol in their vaginas to try to abort pregnancies.

it is not clean cut and saying if we illegalize abortions, woman won't have them. it will preserve the sanctity of life. bull shit! this isn't an experiment. abortions have been illegal before for a long time and many woman died or ended up very ill. it is history.

the fewer restrictions placed on abortion, the safer it is for everyone.

one note however. if i were into woman and got one pregnant, aborting the pregnancy would be the last thing on my mind. i would personally never encourage abortion. however, just b/c i don't do it doesn't mean it should be illegal. damn conservatives just always want to force their views on everyone. i just want freedom of choice for most things. illegalizing things soley b/c they're against your religious views is wrong!

i hate to be "that person", but a man, if he truly wants a child, can go have one with any woman. i don't even know how a man wanting a child could end up getting a woman pregnant that doesn't want a child.

true the child is genetically half his, but what does he truly contribute to the pregnancy (and im not talking about emotional support or any of the other confounding arguments prolifers will try to put in to muddy the arguments)? only half a set of dna. that's it. he doesn't get the bladder urges, hormonal imbalances, gain wieght he will probably never lose, stretch marks, achnie, onset of pregnancy induced hypertension or diabetes, 10 doctors exams, having to give up smoking, drinking, or caffeine. for god's freakin sake, it is all the woman. it should be their right. all this stuff happens to her!

you want to dramatically reduce the number of abortions? don't hate your child when she gets pregnant or even give her the slightest indication u will hate her if she gets pregnant. yes, encourage her not to get pregnant, but never give the impression it is wrong! same for your son if he gets a girl pregnant. in fact, dont hate anyone and every single war would not exist. hate is the one bad thing in the world. just ask the damn pope. he hates everyone afterall. if he's not careful, he's gonna have a catholic revolt. the spanish already don't listen to him. many american catholics are headed that way. i guess if divine indications are involved in picking a new pope, god really does hate and isn't the true lover christianity makes him out to be.

btw, all this has a basis for gay marriage, welfare, international affairs, etc.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby Dev » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:04 pm

Why the hell doesn't the woman tell the man that she doesn't want a baby so they can stop having sex!
- Mitch Hedberg

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Location: low-temperature penis - cold cock. It actually means the stock of a weapon.

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:16 pm

Dev wrote:Why the hell doesn't the woman tell the man that she doesn't want a baby so they can stop having sex!

Why do men have unprotected sex when they're not willing to accept the consequences?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Dev » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:57 pm

TerraFrost wrote:
Dev wrote:Why the hell doesn't the woman tell the man that she doesn't want a baby so they can stop having sex!

Why do men have unprotected sex when they're not willing to accept the consequences?

What's the consequences? Having to take care of a baby that grows up for 18 years?
- Mitch Hedberg

Funny men
Dev
Elite Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:13 am

It's not a question of morality, consequences or anything of the sort. It isn't even primarily a question of safety. The only question that needs be asked is "Whose is the womb?" Does the woman's body belong entirely to her, or does the presence (however engendered) of motile sperm in her womb confer certain rights of ownership (or at least executive veto) to the male?

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Re: consent for abortions

Postby guenhwyvar7373 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:10 pm

I think it should be the woman's choice. It's her body, after all- and men often have so-called 'testosterone surges' that cause them to have sex without thinking about the consequences. If the woman wants an abortion, she can get an abortion.
Look! A distraction!
guenhwyvar7373
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:26 pm

It's been a while since I made this post, but looking back on it, now, I'd have to disagree with some of my own points. If the husband doesn't know the wife is pregnant, who knows how the husband would react to finding out. In theory, he'd be happy, but in practice, a lot of marriages are far from ideal. Getting an abortion may very well be the best thing for the wife to do, but that's something only the wife can decide.

And even if the husband did know and had an emotional investment in the unborn child, it still seems to me it's a personal matter that the law ought not intrude on. In that scenario (which may very well be exceptionally far fetched), there'd likely be negative consequences to such an act even without the law intervening. Maybe the husband would seek a divorce or something, depending on just how emotionally attached to the unborn child he was.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby gillasey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:00 am

How soon during pregnancy do you start getting yeast infections? It been 12 days since i had intercourse so its not quite time to test yet but Im scared that i got pregnant. I have no signs but just a feeling. Is there any sign i can look for to detect pregnancy this early. I know a yeast infection is no sign but its just weird that I have one.
gillasey
Traveler

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:56 am

Not to be rude, but you're posting this on a forum that's currently mostly male. I, for one, have no clue.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone