de-evolution

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

de-evolution

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:38 pm

kuro5hin.org recently ran an article on Ashkenazi Genius. I think this paragraph best summarizes it:

The Ashkenazi are the population of Jews originating in central and northern Europe. In the 20th century, they made up 3% of the U.S. Population, but won 27% of U.S. Nobel prizes. More than half of world chess champions are Ashkenazi. Einstein, Feynman, and Bobby Fischer are all of Ashkenazi ethnicity.

The most disturbing thing from the article, however, is this;

In medieval Europe, anti-Semitism locked the Ashkenazi Jews into intelligence-demanding careers like money-lending, tax-farming, and the merchant trade. Historical evidence shows that those who were more successful at these jobs—and therefore wealthier—had more children. During this time period, the Ashkenazi also had a low rate of intermarriage with other Europeans.

Now, it's quite the opposite. The successful people have less children, because they're too pre-occupied with success, whereas the unsuccessful people have children because they have nothing better to do. In this way, the percentage of smart people is, I guess, doomed to get smaller and smaller...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby shahmask » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:27 pm

the more successful people have less children because they plan their financial future, are many times more educated and therefore more willing to use birth control methods, and, don't require more children like people living in the country that need the children to work or that are trying to preserve their lineage because of a lack of good healthcare. probably, in my opinion, it is ignorance, that you don't use birth control methods because they don't want to or b/c it is against their sacred religion to do so. afterall, it was the vatican that told the africans not to use condoms even though it is much better to use them to help prevent the ultra prevelent spread of aids there.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Return to Twilight Zone