Families of the 911 Victims

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Families of the 911 Victims

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:31 am

First, they were the recipients of pension benefits and bonuses from the companies their loved ones worked at. Then there was a HUGE fund collected from donors around the world and a celebrity telethon to help raise more money. Then they sued the airlines because their planes were the "weapons" used in the attack.

Now, they are suing the Prince of Saudi Arabia because his wife made a donation to a group that was affiliated with the Al Quada network. When I first heard that I was like :o ...

First of all, haven't they gotten enough already? I mean, there is no real value you can place on someone's life but it seems they are getting overly greedy in their desire for compensation. They have already been awarded far more than their loved ones ever would have earned in their lifetimes. Plus, they could just as easily have been hit by a taxi while crossing a street; hit in a drive by shooting; been in an auto accident; had a freak accident or died young of natural causes.

Next, there is the problem of annoying the Saudis --our one big Middle Eastern ally and supplier of most of our oil-- to the point where they withdraw all cooperation and cut off our oil supply.

Finally, I see a dangerous precident being set if they get away with suing the Saudi government. What is to stop one of the family members of a foreign victim from suing the US government for billions? Where does it stop? When should it end?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Gigafrost » Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:17 am

My thoughts are pretty similar to yours about this...I'm just wondering how much each family has made...
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:14 am

I believe the person they are sueing is the 11th richest person in the world, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud of Saudi Arabia. Of course, the ironic thing is... he already donated $10 million dollars to the victims of the terrorist attacks... was that donation not enough? must they find fault even with those who *already* helped them? sheesh.

you can read about him here:
http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/ ... ype=Person
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Rend » Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:42 pm

First of all, it is unethical and just plain wrong to sue somebody for making a donation.

If I made a donation to a college, and some college guys from that university trashed your car, would you be right to sue me?

of course, if they gave major funds, it would be a military story. Still, thoguh, you cannot be sued for giving away your money. It's yours to deal with as you want.

Many people's family members die every day, and all those people must move on with their life. So must these people.
"Bubba, this is not football or war."
~Soccer coach to 'Bubba', a football player in need of a sport.

Viva la AVATAR OF TWO!
Rend
Townfolk

Postby Evlfrost » Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:31 pm

Can they even sue someone in another country? People these days are soo stupid with theyre suing. People need to take responsobility for theyre own actions and stop trying to blame it on others.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby frank-the-weinerdog » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:16 pm

As far as I have heard, a US investigation has determined that the money "donated" was a gift to an individual for school, and rent etc.
These types of donatons are not uncommon, as Saudi immigrants are often rewarded with monetary gifts to contribute in the effort of success.

The investigation is merely a paper trail being followed, and though its not entirely imposible to suspect the monies where somehow given to support terrorism, its a very far fetched idea, exploited by the media. The investigative panel was fishing, plain and simple, and our corrupt, biased, money grubbing, sugar coating , exhagerating media made the fish seem 100x s bigger than it really was.

As far as the lawsuit is concerned, stupid freaking lawyers! ONE person who lost a loved one can intitiate a lawsuit where the attorneys can claim to represent the whole of a group.
The lawyers are the only ones to make any money on a suit, and that is the only reason they take the case before the courts.

I assume the effort on the attorneys behalf, is to gain more monetary attention form our own gov for the victims, who will likely make some sort of plea to keep the case from reaching the courts. If in fact the pigheaded greedy lawyers dont get what they want, I think the blow to relations between the US and Saudi Arabia would be a significant one.

I have no idea how much money was awarded to those who lost their loved ones in the attacks on our country, I would hope it would be a fair amount for everyone considering how many (600+/-) children will live without one or both parents. But at the same time I dont think ANYONE other than the terrosists themselves can be held accountable for their actions.

On the other hand, I hope theres no greed involved in the efforts to sue the Saudi donating money, or anyone else (airlines etc) because this is one of the core reasons behind the attacks to begin with, american policy and GREED.

How much would you expect to recieve in monies if your spouse was murdered? I mean this is the question isnt it? how much is enough, and how much is too much.

I cant place a dollar amount on a loved one, but what the heck does love have to do with any of it, is a widowed spouse actually a victim of anything more than grief?

I mean these people are likely collecting life insurance and social security and retirement benefits from a lost spouse already, not to mention the donated monies, the payments made to them by the companies the victims worked for, the govs donations..

sue a Saudi for more, and damage international relations, hey, whatever puts another dime in your pocketbook rite, and what better group to go after than the wealthies people in the world?
frank-the-weinerdog
Traveler

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:03 am

It seems you have echoed the sentiments of the others, more or less, except for your mention of lawyers.

Lawyers are much of what is wrong with our country.

Frivolous lawsuits are out of hand ...not just in this case but in general... and it is lawyers that encourage these suits to drum up more wealth for themselves.

I wish that judges would just stop hearing such cases and perhaps there would cease to be so many.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby frank-the-weinerdog » Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:05 am

trouble is...a judge was most likely a "lawyer" once
frank-the-weinerdog
Traveler

Postby Nyufrost » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:32 am

True ... thank goodness all lawyers aren't lawsuit happy but enough of them are that it's ridiculous.

*wonders if there isn't some government rugulation that could be applied*
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Return to Twilight Zone