interview with Jack Valenti, head of the MPAA

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

interview with Jack Valenti, head of the MPAA

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:00 am

here's the interview:
http://www.hpronline.org/news/347207.html?mkey=628413

i, myself, do have a few gripes with it :):

HPR: The MPAA has backed several bills mandating copy prevention technologies. Critics have lambasted these bills for curbing consumer's "fair use" rights, including the ability to make back-up copies. How can we balance the interests of consumers and the movie industry?

JV: What is fair use? Fair use is not a law. There's nothing in law.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

HPR: Even if breaking the encryption is for a legitimate purpose, to make a back-up copy?

JV: But you've already got a DVD. It lasts forever. It never wears out. In the digital world, we don't need back-ups, because a digital copy never wears out. It is timeless.

The minute that you allow people to break an encryption, you lose all security. If anyone can do it under the rubric of fair use, how can we protect the artists?

Today, it's illegal to copy a videocassette. No one has a fair use to copy a videocassette. If you lose it, you get another one, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's what people have been doing for generations.

that's probably the stupidest thing i've ever heard from him, heh. DVD's don't last for ever. In fact, they are estimated to last only 100 years. Now granted, this is forever as far as most people are concerned, but... what about the devices that read them? the 5.25" drive was around for a while, but that went away when newer, better technology came. VHS and the 3.5" drive are begining to go away, too. So just because we can watch it now doesn't mean we'll be able to watch it later, even though the content of the DVD may not have degradded. Further, and the biggest gripe I have about this... what about all the people who *scratch* their dvd, or something? has JV never rented from a rental store!? Or even owned a DVD!?

anyways, here are some commentary on the interview, by the guy who conducted it:

http://cmusings.blogspot.com/2003_02_02 ... l#88495460

so... what are your thoughts on this?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Evlfrost » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:38 pm

Well coming from somebody who has a lot of little siblings running around, DVDs tend to be rather short lived (around 2-6 months). However there are devices that repair DVDs. But I am in favor of being able to copy back-ups. This whole thing about VHS copying is crap. DVDs are a lot more fragile than VHS.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Return to Twilight Zone