Internet Acronyms "Netspeak"

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Internet Acronyms "Netspeak"

Postby The Baked Potato » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:41 am

I haven't used Netspeak since my Star Craft days, and even through my Counter-Strike days I've tried to not use acronyms.

But lately, the various acronyms have gotten unoriginal, I happen to view this as a serious issue, and I feel like this more and more often as I read noob's posts:
It seems to me that there are now two kinds of people on the internet:
Rofflecopter Pilots, and Lollerskaters.

When did this happen? I remember there being many different types of people on the internet, then I noticed that there were just a handfull left, and now the lmaowich eaters and the wtfudgecicle eaters are gone, and the your mOMGods have lost their followers.

Are they going to stay AFK or will they BRB? And if they don't come back, did they really GTG?

Have you noticed things like this too?
"I should have known we could never escape Sailor Bubba."
The Baked Potato
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:40 am

Usage of acronyms suggests to me that someone is comfortable using IM clients, among other things. As they become more comfortable, their conversations become more casual and less formal.

As for acronyms being unoriginal... what's the point of an original acronym? It's doubtful that anyone will understand it if it's original, and isn't understanding a requisite for acronym usage?

Also, I'm not really sure what qualifies one as a lmaowich / wtfudgecicle eater, a rofflecopter pilot, or a lollerskater.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby The Baked Potato » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:52 pm

Consider if you will, the Rofflecopter, you do know what the Rofflecopter is, don't you?

You don't have to actually pilot the rofflecopter to be called a "rofflecopter pilot" you just have to ride it more times than you lollerskate.

I take it that you don't subscribe to the "Internet bohemian" counter-culture that much, do you?

I think that if you did you might have found my words very playful to the observant.
The Baked Potato
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:41 am

Consider if you will, the Rofflecopter, you do know what the Rofflecopter is, don't you?

Not until just now when I looked it up on wikipedia, heh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rofflecopter

Anyway, nope - I don't know much about the "Internet bohemian" counter-culture. I know people (in person) who've paid to be members of the something awful forums and I know people (online) who are active members of newgrounds, but despite that, that subculture is very alien to me. Based on what I've observed, it seems that those who pescribe to it lack ambition and superficilliaty. Would that be your general assessment? If not, how would you characterize it?

Incidently, I think becoming a major player in the "Internet bohemian" counter-culture movement is the goal of just about every general purpose message board such as this. Unfortunately (or not), the secret to becoming one is probably contigent upon ones not caring if it becomes one.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby The Baked Potato » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:37 am

To become a major or minor player in the "Internet counter-culture" you pretty much just need to be funny, bitter, and full of yourself.

Also, spelling is important too.
Elitism equates to coolness on the Internet; not unlike real life.

However, in real life there's a lot of other factors to be elitist about (IE looks) which a lot of people whom use the Internet cannot (It's 3:35 in the morning, you think up your own damned verb) up to.

Also, knowing that people prefer one-liners or one to two paragraph insults instead of actual intelligent discussion is also a powerful tool in being popular on the Internet.
The Baked Potato
Traveler

Return to Twilight Zone