SHiavo -- wtf?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Evlfrost » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:28 pm

I personally don't have an opinion for right-to-live or right-to-die. However, I do think they ought to find a way other than starvation.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby tsian » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:52 pm

Certainly, some other form of death would be much preffered, I think. But since that treads closely to the idea of 'doctor-assisted suicide', it will probably not happen anytime soon in the US.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:57 pm

"Ahh, So the article is tripe. But the husband stating Terri said she wanted to die is ROCK SOLID."
I did not address that, if you will carefully read over my last post, you will see that i only mentioned this article. I have no idea what Terri may or may not have said to her husband, and it is not relevant to my criticism of a factually bankrupt and emotionally manipulative article.

"But the euthanasia freaks out there have created a Martyr with their constant fake compassion and drumbeat to starve this woman to death."
*laughs* Maybe so, but only because the laws of the western world are so stupidly focused on the idea of life as sacred without any thought or care to quality or life or even a rational definition of life. And with a monomaniacle fundamentalist religous stranglehold on the administration down there, i doubt anything much will change.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby Roadkill » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:27 pm

I had thought the obvious way to kill her would be through lethal injection or something -- starvation is simply cruel. I am surprised no one in the judicial system has really addressed this yet. ALthough it is easily associated with the death penalty (which is done for a crime) or assisted suicide (as tsian mentioned), it is our obligation to ensure quality of death. We don't torture criminals to death, as sometimes should happen, but we ensure a quick and simple death. Then came the culture shock in WW2 when we learned the japanese accept suicide -- and we, the western powers, rejected it. It is sad if our constitution needs to be amended to include quality of death, but i guess at some point it would be necessary -- because at some point in the future yyou know that people are going to be even more twisted up than we are, and this will protect our complex moral system.

Morals are about judgement. Judgement should be free of prejudice, and by doing so free of restriction. YOu can look at it this way -- Shiavo has been in prison for over a decade anda half. A time comparable to those ondeath row -- her life should be allowed to end. SHe may be able to live, but beyond that she is only emotional comfort or emotional victory.

While right to die is often a bad idea, it is not hard to see how pathetic we are sticking to right to live at this moment. It is natural for all things to want to live, so whtether she tried to say "I want to die" or "I want to live" or "I want more water" is irrelevant. Hope is all we have some times, but we should recognize when there is absolutely none for a recovery.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:11 am

I agree that death by some means other than starvation is much prefered. To draw another analogy to veterinary practices, people don't kill pets by starving them, so wh should they do that to people?

Also,

The husband (after he got over 1 million dollars to care for Terri) claims she told him she wouldn't want to live 'like this'

I hadn't heard that (not that I've heard much about this at all, heh), but that does undermine the husbands position quite a bit. If he signed some sort of contract, he might be breaking other laws. Anyway, at the very least, he ought to give this money back.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:37 am

I'm not quit certain exactly the circumstances covering the settlement, but i couldn't help but notice that you avoided noting that he won that money through a malpractice claim. It may seem he's obligated to tend to her with that money, but why? She's dead to him. She will not return to the capacity at which she once was, she will not every be so cheery and bright, each day an obstacle. She can learn to speak, and eat, to a retarded extent. But what then? Where do retards unable to support themselves go? Her personality, her character, her mind (some people classify these things as a person's entire being), all dead. so he's just supposed to feed a ghost and hang on to it? That's crueler.

I'm with the Mr. Shiavo on this case. She's dead, let him move on. Why is it so hard for people to just let go?

Why do we always assume the right thing is preserving life? Republicans and others are being on the safe side by supporting Ms. Shiavo, whom they care nothing about, but want to be politically correct and not agitate the minority. Goddamnit, why can't we just be truthful in our beleifs?
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:27 pm

I'm not quit certain exactly the circumstances covering the settlement, but i couldn't help but notice that you avoided noting that he won that money through a malpractice claim.

I'm just quoting what others have said in this thread and I don't think anyone in this thread said what you just said. As such, I wouldn't say that I avoided noting that so much as I didn't know that. ;)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:43 pm

wasn't aiming at you, terra ;)
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone