Told what to do or what not to?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Your opinion?

People can be told what to do and what not to do
33%
People can't be told what to do and what not to do
No votes
People can be told what to do but not what not to do
No votes
People can't be told what to do but what not to do
67%

Total votes : 3

Told what to do or what not to?

Postby Drazo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:52 am

After reading CC's poll 'what do you think' I started considering whether people should have the right to not be forced to do what they don't want to do or to be told what not to do.

No one should be forced to do something someone else told them to do but they should be told what not to do such as muder, virus distributing, rape, drugs, hacking, theft etc. The law can't force us to do something whether we like it or not such as voting, marrige, etc.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby tsian » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:56 pm

Laws and culture set up a framework which both forbids and permits certain activities. Telling someone "you can't 'rape' other people" is the same thing as telling them "you can only have sex with consenting partners". "You can't steal from other people" simply means "You can only own property which you have acquired through society's accepted cultural and legal framework".

Hence, the question is not whether we can be told what we can and cannot do (we clearly are told, by the government, by our parents, by our employers, by the culture we live in), but really in what areas should we not be told.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:13 pm

I agree with tsian, if you accept that the government has a right to set and enforce laws forbidding behaviour, then they also have the right to enforce laws requiring certain behaviour:
You must pay your taxes,
You must buy car insurance,
You must apply for a business licence,
You must go to school,

There are many areas of law that enforce a duty on the citizen, i think you're being rather naieve in your depiction of law.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Return to Twilight Zone