what do you think?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Should voting be compulsery?

yes
20%
no
80%

Total votes : 5

what do you think?

Postby chaotic century » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:16 pm

I was reading in my history text book that in Australia, voting is compulsery meaning, you have to vote under penalty of law unless you have a sufficient reason not to such as a sickness. Do you think this is a good idea? why or why not?
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:40 pm

i recall reading about this on wikipedia, in some article. i don't know which country it was refering to, but it might have been australia.

anyway, it doesn't seem such a bad idea to me. i can't think of any negative consequences that could result, off hand, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

of course, even if there were negative consequences, the real question is what are the benifits and do they oughtweigh any possible negative consequences.

for those in power, there are probably certainly negative consequences.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:05 am

very good thread idea, CC. ^_^
I say no. I mean, if someone wants to just sit around and doesn't care about what's going on with their country, then fine...
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby tsian » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:25 am

I think compulsory voting isn't necessarily a bad idea. It raises awareness and involvement in the political system.

However, a good system of representation (incorporating some sort of preportional system) is also necessary.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Drazo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:37 am

No. I don't like being told what to do. It's as simple as that.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby tsian » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:53 pm

No. I don't like being told what to do. It's as simple as that.

And yet you live under a set of laws which, for the good of everyone, yourself included, essentially do just that. I suspect it is not so much that you don't like being told what to do as it is you wouldn't like (for some reason) to be told that you must vote or face a $30 fine.
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:14 pm

And it's not like this voting law wouldn't be escapable, you could simply renounce your citizenship, or join a religion that doesn't believe in voting.

This would not be a law that effected those with a serious objection to voting, rather one that made it easier to vote than not to, thus spurring the lazy to go out and vote.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:57 am

I think that it's sort of fair, because they want everyone's opinion, but it's unfair because as humans we should have the right to keep our opinions to ourselves.

I think it's really up to the people in charge. I mean, it's sort of pointless to try to rationlize other countries sometimes. Just live and let live I suppose.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:06 am

"I think that it's sort of fair, because they want everyone's opinion, but it's unfair because as humans we should have the right to keep our opinions to ourselves. "
Sort of, but it's not as simple as that. Certainly, you have the right not to be forced to delcare your opinion publicly, but this is why we have secret ballots. I think it is a simple duty of every eligible citizen to participate in the democratic process, I think that if more people voted, perhaps they would be more satisified with the people who get elected.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:18 am

sometimes complaints about government policies are dismissed because the person making them didn't vote.

if voting was mandatory, i suspect that the same people dismissing the afore mentioned complaints would still do so - only this time, they'd dismiss the complaints because the people making them couldnt bother themselves to make a well informed vote.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:57 pm

Hmm, you have made a point against my post but what about ChatOmbre's?

I say no. I mean, if someone wants to just sit around and doesn't care about what's going on with their country, then fine...
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby tsian » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:33 pm

Perhaps voting, which flows from gaining citizenship and living in a democracy, is, in fact, an obligation on the citizen. This would make voting a right... the result of an obligation... and not a freedom, which generally implies freedom from interference (IE freedom of concious)
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:38 pm

Hmm, you have made a point against my post but what about ChatOmbre's?

whose post are you refering to?

my post was mostly in response to the post ugu made right before mine...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby chaotic century » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:12 pm

I don't think voting should become compulsoy, because if someone doesn't want to vote then that's them. But in another sense people do need to vote. They want their ideas heard but don't bother to speak out, and that's pretty stupid.

Another question: Since lots of people don't realy care to vote, what could the government do to encaurage them to?
I don't think most people will care who is elected president unless it somehow effects their everyday lives. And another reason people might not vote is becasue they are not educated enough to make a qualified choice. But that to is because they don't bother to seek after the information. So I go back to my question, what could the goverment to do to encaurage people to want to vote?
I am Chaotic Century King of the PointyShiney!
"this world is made of! this world is made of.. LOVE and PEACE!

neero is my master

it is foolish to listen to someone who will not listen to you
chaotic century
Heroic Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:57 pm

tsian wrote:

Perhaps voting, which flows from gaining citizenship and living in a democracy, is, in fact, an obligation on the citizen. This would make voting a right... the result of an obligation... and not a freedom, which generally implies freedom from interference (IE freedom of concious)

good point, I shall think about that. :)
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Next

Return to Twilight Zone