World tax for AIDS

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

World Tax for AIDS

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 4

World tax for AIDS

Postby LarryTGC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:58 am

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050126/1/3q44a.html

Chirac proposes international tax to fight AIDS

French President Jacques Chirac called for an "experimental" international tax to help fund the war against AIDS, suggesting it could be raised via a levy on airline tickets, some fuels or financial transactions.

In a speech via video link to political and business leaders in the Swiss resort of Davos, he said at least 10 billion dollars (7.7 billion euros) a year was needed -- up from six billion annually now -- to stem the spread of the disease.

Chirac, prevented from flying to the World Economic Forum here through poor weather, said that despite huge efforts so far, "we are failing in the face of this terrible pandemic."

He suggested options including: a "contribution" on international financial transactions, a tax on aviation and maritime fuel, a tax on capital movements in or out of countries which practised banking secrecy, or a "small levy" such as a dollar on the three billion airline tickets sold every year.

"What is striking about these examples," Chirac said, "is the disproportion between the modest efforts required and the benefits everyone would reap from them."

The president said developed countries should also create tax incentives to stimulate private donations to charity.

Chirac acknowledged that his proposal would be widely debated, an allusion to US opposition to any international tax, and said there was "no question" of treading on each country's right to set its own levies.

"But there is nothing to prevent states from cooperating and coming to an understanding on new resources and their allocation to a common cause," Chirac added.

He said a tax on international financial transactions would be implemented sparingly and at a very low rate and would not be an obstacle to normal market operations. It could raise 10 billion dollars a year, he went on.

A levy on capital movements would partially compensate for the consequences of tax evasion which damaged the poorest countries, and would be allocated to development.

The fuel tax would apply to air and sea transport and effectively end the current exemption regime.

Meanwhile, a small levy on plane tickets would not compromise the economic balance of the aviation sector, the president said.

Two years ago Chirac also raised the possibility of an international tax to help the fight against AIDS, but gave few details, while he has several times extolled the idea to help combat the negative effects of globalisation.

Is A World Tax a good idea?

I personally think @&$* NO.

I think the slippery slope argument fits here perfectly. Talk about throwing the gates open.

I think it deals a devistating blow to the national soviegnity of every nation.

I think AIDS is mainly a behavioral disease and doesn't warrant a World Tax.

The emotional tagline applied to fool the masses makes me suspicious of motives.

I dont think the U.N. can be trusted with $,$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.00 in the light of the current Iraq Oil-for-food scandal.

What are you thoughts?
LarryTGC
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:32 am

my only thought is this - that throwing money at problems doesn't solve them.

a good example of this comes from the recent presidential election. billionaire George Soros said "that removing Bush from office was the 'central focus of my life' and 'a matter of life and death' for which he would willingly sacrifice his entire fortune," but he didn't sacrifice all his fortune. why? because, like i said, you can't just throw money at a problem and expect to have it solved.

ultimately, it's how you spend the money that counts - not how much you spend. and i don't know if they spend the $6 billion they already get in a good or bad way. (ie. if they aren't spending it effectively, now, there's no reason to assume they could the spend 4 billion more dollars any more effectively)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:39 am

I think the slippery slope argument fits here perfectly.

The slippery slope arguement is useless. People use it when it suits there goal and ignore and dismiss it when it doesn't.

If I argued that holding people, even Americans, without significant legal protection merely because they were accused of terrorism was a slippery slope, what would you say?

What if we talked about the government being able to eavesdrop by obtaining secret warrants?

I think AIDS is mainly a behavioral disease and doesn't warrant a World Tax.

There is behaviour involved. But when the US refuses to fund many educational programs merely because they speak at all about abortion, there is a problem. To fight the behaviour you need to teach proper use of contraceptives. That is part of the fight. You also need to look at helping the people currently effected, and that means allowing generic drugs, period.

I dont think the U.N. can be trusted with $,$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.00 in the light of the current Iraq Oil-for-food scandal.

One Scandal representing a small preportion of the overall funds, which is currently being looked into. How many spending scandals has the US had? Do you refuse to pay your taxes?
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:11 pm

But when the US refuses to fund many educational programs merely because they speak at all about abortion, there is a problem.

the fact that they give factually incorrect information about abortion (among other things), as demonstrated by the following article, is also pretty suggestive that there is a problem in sex ed:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 4Dec1.html
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Helspawn101 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:41 am

I say no

Please, if you're going to go to the trouble of making a post, at least explain the reasonings behind your decision, instead of just saying yes or no. If you only have a yes or no to say, just vote.
Helspawn101
Townfolk

Location: In My New Anvil Shop, Where I Am Smithing the Legendary Dragon Longsword.

Return to Twilight Zone