Brainwashing 101

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Brainwashing 101

Postby LarryTGC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:18 am

A new Documentary is about to hit theaters in 2005 tackling the issue of diversity of thought allowed on college campuses. Or should I say lack of diversity of thought allowed on college campuses.

The Documentary entitled Brainwashing 101 is avaliable for viewing at this link.

http://academicbias.com/bw101-wmv.html

If you have a fast connection it streams really well. Or you can download it.

Please post your opinion and review after viewing. (debate will follow) :)
LarryTGC
Traveler

Postby Dracofrost » Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:43 am

A text or purely sound version of the script or story still covering the basic elements of it would be appreciated by those who only run crappy phoneline modems.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby ChatOmbre » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:21 pm

I'd appreciate a scrip version, seeing as my speakers still don't work...

anywho, I'd think that "Brainwashing 101" would be about public schools, rather than colleges. :p
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:01 am

the first 6.5 minutes, as written out by me...

Ah - the American University. For several centuries, our universities churned out bold thinkers who changed the world. From the hopeful birth of our nation to the difficult struggle for equality, generations of great leaders sprung up from our nations campuses. Traditionally, the mission of higher education has been to equip students with the tools necessary to think critically. Educators believe that a better society would result when people had the freedom to debate the great challenges of their time. Colleges embodied the very philosophy upon which our nation was founded and educators reconized that their academic freedom was made possible by America's freedom. So when our country needed help, Universities answered the call.

"1,500 colleges through-out the nation are being brought into the war effort. Consultation with faculty and advisory officers, students have gotten the specialized training they need for war work. Servicemen with books, now a common site on the campus."

My, how times have changed.

Cornell Univerity
Columbus Day, 2002

"The only true heroes are those who find ways to defeat the U.S. military."
- Nicholas DeGenova, Professor, Columbia University

The Pentagon
September 11, 2001

"Anybody who blows up th Pentagon gets my vote.'
- Richard Berthold, Professor, University of New Mexico, Sept. 11, 2001

In the wake of Sept. 11th, a number of college campuses actually outlawed the display of American flags. (---) university removed the flag from school buses and told employees that displaying the flag is not allowed. At Central Michigan Unversity, school officials forced students to remove to remove flags from their dorm room doors. Arizona removed a flag from a cafeteria over worries that it might offend foreign students. And at holy cross, a seceretary was told to remove a flag from her desk. She was a friend of Todd Beamer who was killed on Sept. 11th while trying to retake a hijaked plane. How did our campuses get this way? Is my old school like this?

Brainwashing 101
A film by Evan Coyne Maloney
(i don't care who the exec producers are)

I decided to take a little road trip to Liousville, Penn. If you're a hard core fan of the Sopranoes, you may remember Liousberg for two things - Jackie O'Prille spent some time there in the late Liousberg Pennitentury. And Medow paid a visit to the town to take a tour of my alma matar - Bucknell University. I loved my four years at Bucknell but I've been hearing some disturbing things, recently, and I wanted to go see for myself.

"America is a racist, sexist, homophobic, bigoted country. It has a lot of currency in here"
- Charles Mitchell, Bucknell Student

"A lot of our students are, I think, unconsciously racist."
- Geoffrey Schneider, Bucknell Professor, Economics

"A few administrators have written to local papers saying that some of us are racist"
- Denise Chaykun

"It's subconscious, so they don't really see it in themselves"
- Geoffrey

"People don't have any idea just how bad it is"
- Charles

"And nobody wants to admit it - that they're unconsciously a racist"
- Geoffrey

"If you're always talking (?) about the evils of capitalism, blah blah blah"
- Charles

"There are still lots of marxist stutering (?) and lots of writtings and journals and things within the economics profession"
- Geoffrey

"You never hear about the evils of comunism. You never hear about the piles of bodies"
- Charles Mitchell, Buckwell Student

"Imagine your typical, very wealthy, Bucknell student taking a course which is a critique of capatilism and I'll be saying things like - 'you're parents are doing awful things to people around the globe. Either indirectly or directly."
- Geoffry

"Capatalism oppresses the individual, marxism empowers the individual"
- Charles

"We go through the basic ideas of Marx and then updates of Marx and some of the feminist and black famous political economies - I mean, black political economy which starts with Marxism and then goes off in different directions from there"
- Geoffry

"I'm a comm. major. I've never been a sight higher (?), I've never been assigned receses(?), I've never even seen a freedman (?)"
- Charles

"Black political economists and feminist political economists have been improved, I think, on basic standard Marxist ideas, and I think - I expose the fact that Marxist ideas haven't always dealt with race issues very effectively. For example, Alexander(?)"
- Geoffry

"I know one person here, ever, who has read Friedrich Hayek, one person"
- Charles

"Some of the most cutting edge work in economics today has been in die (?) - I mean, feminist economics, and black political economy. So the students should be exposed, you would think, to the cutting edge work in the discpline."
- Geoffry

anyway, i do have to agree with everyone else - I'd much prefer written material to a video. I can't watch videos during the day while I'm either between classes or at work, and I can't as easily save the previous spot I was at.

as far as the above transcript is concerned - i don't know if i'll finish it (i think it might have taken around 30-40 minutes to do those 6.5 minutes), and... i'm not gonna make a practice of transcribing stuff.

finally, i'll try to collect my thoughts, some-time in the next few days (transcribing what part i did took too much time, as is, heh).
Last edited by TerraFrost on Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby LarryTGC » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:15 am

well obvious if noone can or will watch the video then we can talk about when it comes to theaters. Its only about half done (45) minutes. But theres some interesting stuff in it, whatever side of the political spectrum you are on.
LarryTGC
Traveler

Postby LarryTGC » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:53 am

It has a lot of courage in here(?)"

It has alot of currency here. (meaning easily accepted, carries alot of weight)

"I don't - I know one person here, ever, who wasn't white. One person"

Oh Terra. I'm sure it was a mistake.

The quote is

You know, the nobel prize winner in Economics.

"We go through the basic ideas of Marx and then updates of Marx and some of the feminist and black famous political commie - I mean, black political commie which starts with Marxism and then goes off in different directions from there"

We go thru the basic ideas of marx ant then updates of marx and some feminist and black political economies.................
Last edited by LarryTGC on Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
LarryTGC
Traveler

Postby tsian » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:05 am

I'm not sure I understand what the point of it is.

And a look at economic history will show that Hayek was long scorned for his views as the world followed Keynes, and it was good. Then things went bad and we decided that Hayed *must* be the solution.

Thats the way the world works, we switch economic models without ever keeping a sense of history as to what happened the last time we tried something similar.

Of course, all economies are hybrid, following somewhere between the 'commanding heights' and a true market economy, but the past couple of decades have certainly brought many countries closer to Hayek.

EDIT: Though, Larry, there are 4 or 5 other topics that you haven't responded to recently ^_^
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:06 am

Oh Terra. I'm sure it was a mistake.

The quote is

wow - that was quite a mistake, heh. i tried to make sense of what he said, and based on his previous comments (mainly, the one where he said that america is racist), that seemed like a likely possibility. thanks for the correction (the orig. post has been corrected, too) :)

anyway, one thing that surprised me is that the schools he mentioned in the begining as examples of ones that had deviated from their roots, so to speak, are (i think) state funded. i can understand not wanting to alienate foreigners by rampant patriotism, but the fact remains that these schools are (again, i think) being paid for by the US. and i dunno - i don't think it's uber unreasonable to allow symbols be displayed of your benificators. to say otherwise would be rather like asking taco bell employees not to eat taco bell food.

of course, pursuant to that, if the us government does have final say over what publically funded universities can do, and they haven't objected to what the film pretty much refered to as the degredation of universities (of which the baring of flags is, i think, only an example), then is it really so bad?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:13 pm

Thank you, Terra, for trying to transcribe that. :)

I still didn't get the point of most of what they're saying though. :/ heh. The beginning was the clearest part.
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby Helspawn101 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:54 am

That is very interesting- hold on not finished-
Helspawn101
Townfolk

Location: In My New Anvil Shop, Where I Am Smithing the Legendary Dragon Longsword.

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:59 am

the next 3.5 minutes...

"If you're required to study this stuff about marxism and you're required to study marx in this much detail, then that is a value judgement, you know"
- Charles

"They feel like they need to be exposed to this - that this is really good stuff - stuff that they will benifit from learning. But it's going to conflict with their preconcieved notions."
- Geoffry

"I feel like we only get one point of view."
- Charles

"If you look through the course book, you'd see across departments there's tons of courses on gender issues, sex issues."
- Denise

"You can't just take general history or sociology."
- Denise

"In too many casses you end up with people who turn a class that isn't political and make it political."
- Charles

"I believe it was an engineering class of some sort, and it turned into this creed about how George Bush invaded Afgahnistan to build an oil pipeline accross the country"
- Charles

"This was the professor who went on about it for 45 minutes in an engineering class"
- Charles

"You raise your hand and say 'excuse me, professor - i disagree with you' in a class where it's out of place already?"
- Denise

"I think that a lot of it's made-up. I think that a lot of the bias is in the eye of the beholder"
- Geoffry

"It's not every class. You can't forget that but it's way to often"
- Charles

"These are respected university professors and they're either controling our grades or their colleagues are."
- Denise

"I find when students come out of high school they have no ability to engage in critical thinking. None. They are used to spouting back what teachers tell them."
- Geoffry

"If everyone here who is in a position of authority and is supposed to be respected is saying these things and of course it's gonna start to sink in."
- Denise

"It's just breathtaking how one sided things can be, here"
- Charles

"Our big danger is the trustees. Our trustees have made noises every now and then about interfering in the ciriculum and making sure that we have enough different perspectives."
- Geoffry

"You ought to want a full flowering of ideas and all view points. It's interesting that so many folks apparently don't"
- Charles

"The chairman of our board of trustees, right now, Susan Crawford, has, for example, said at times that we need to make sure that Bucknell needs to have a sufficiently diverse cirriculium and has proposed that maybe we need an American Studies major, implicitly meaning American studies should be about celebrating America - in other words, it should be a political perspective, almost."
- Geoffry

"Universities used to not be like this. They didn't used to be strong holds of any particular idealogical bend."
- Charles

"We were trained in these areas and to have somebody who does not know our field tell us what we should be teaching is the height of arrogance."
- Geoffry

Bucknell's thought of as pretty main stream. It's certainly not the kind of school you'd expect to be far out there, politically. So if students at Bucknell feel that they're being indocterinated, what does it say about all the other seemingly normal campuses around the country?

Next stop on the road trip - some place in California - the home of Cal Poly. Cal Poly recently gained notoriety when the school tried to punish a student for posting a flier announcing an upcomming event. The local college Republicans had invited conservative author Mason Weaver to come and speak.

"We promised him because we wanted somene who was going to be dynamic - we didn't want someone stiff up there to give a boring lecture about tax policy or something"
- Steve Hinkle, Cal Poly Student, Cal Poly College Republicans

"Just the title of the book is provocotive enough - It's OK to Leave the Plantation. It's about economic freedom - the new underground railroad. The new underground railroad being capitalism, free markets, and that's the whole premise of his book. It had a catchy title, it was provacative and that's what we needed to get people to our events."
- Steve
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:39 pm

i have to say that i'm a little confussed by what the point of half of the bucknell interviews are.

they start talking about (1) how people at bucknell are racist, then about (2) how some contributions to economics are seemingly overlooked because of the people who made them, and then about (3) how professors are going off on tangents about things unrelated to the class.

i can understand how brainwashing can result from (3), but what about (2) and (1)? (1) doesn't seem to be saying that colleges are brainwashing people as much as it says that people are brainwashed, already. and (2) just seems to be an extension of (1).

also, it seems a little odd that Charles, at first, says something that it seems to me as if most conservatives would disagree with - that most Americans are racist, homophobic, etc - and then proceeds to agree with the conclusions the narrator makes. is the purpose in including that line to demostrate, by using Charles as an example, of what's wrong with college, or is what Charles saying assumed to be correct by the narrator?

if someone could explain it to me, that'd be great :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:50 pm

(3) Is necessary. Students need to understand that EVERYONE -- including their professors -- have biases.

Otherwise, and I'll try watching this movie again on the weekend, I just don't see any coherent point coming from this movie.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:27 am

I don't have the inclination to watch this, but going from the quotes and transcript thoughtfully provided by terra, nothing here particularily suprises me. It is very, very easy to only present one side of an opinion, and unless the video presents contrasting opinions and allows it's viewers to judge for themselves, it won't be worth seeing even when it's finished.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:28 am

(3) Is necessary. Students need to understand that EVERYONE -- including their professors -- have biases.

whether or not demonstrating bias will prove to people it exists is one thing, but to do demonstrate that bias in a class where it isn't relevant is something else, entirely. i mean, the attendees of the engineering class that Charles mentioned weren't paying all the money that they were to here a professor spout on about something - they're paying money to be taught. if the professor wants to talk about afgahnistan he simply ought not do it on the students time, imho.

also, corporate america expects people with degrees to be educated - not opinionated (i mean, whether or not they're opinionated on one issue or another doesn't typically play into the equation).

i also agree with denise - that you're not in the best position to disagree with professors when they spout off like that.

of course, on that note, i should say that i think what charles described is extremely rare. the only times professors have ever interjected their own personal opinion in class time is when they were trying to draw parallels to make the subject material easier to understand or to demonstrate the materials relevance. perhapes the narrator of brainwashing 101 would consider that to be an example of how college is brainwashing students, but i don't think it's an example of brainwashing.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Next

Return to Twilight Zone