The Philly 5

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:06 pm

on the subject of analogies - i think all analogies are inherently inaccurate. if it was 100% accurate, it wouldn't be an analogy at all. how inaccurate an analogy is, however, is something that's probably up for debate...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Exalted Ugu » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:20 am

Actually, the fire in a crowded theatre example is not really an analogy. Or rather, it is an analogy used to demonstrate the rational and public safety limits on freedom of speech. An act, even if it is protected speech, that demonstrably creates a risk to people's health and safety can be supressed.

Actually though, modern jurisprudence defines a number of acts of proscribed speech acts; obscenity, incitement to violence, certain kinds of hate and harassment laws, freedom of speech is not and has never been an absolute. That is, i think, what was meant by Tsian's analogy.

My own shellfish remark was rather OT, and certainly not an analogy. Merely a comment on the ridiculousness and baselessness of the protest itself. I have to say though, what disturbs me most about this is not the protesters, whom i think should definitely not be conviced of any criminal offence unless they attacked or otherwise assaulted people, but the rather blatant fearmongering perpetrated by the right-wing media around this issue. As i tried to find a context for the 'fighting words' quote, perhaps a complete sentence, or even a sentence clause (which i could not find, btw) i noticed that somehow people were drawing the inference that the prosecution of these activists was somehow 'for reading the bible in public' and these demagogic groups were attempting to scare christians into action by tricking them into believing that their religion was under attack.

Now, if Gays in this city were to burst into a major religious event and sing songs, recite speeches and tell the christians that they're all going to be punished for their beliefs, they should be removed and their ringleaders possibly charged, depending on the exact nature of the offence. Exactly as these Christian activists were.

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby LarryTGC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:36 am

Now, if Gays in this city were to burst into a major religious event and sing songs, recite speeches and tell the christians that they're all going to be punished for their beliefs, they should be removed and their ringleaders possibly charged

I agree, but not with felony charges. I've said all along the misdemeanor charges are completly understandable. Its pretty much standard at protests.

But what warrants the felony charges?
The 'hate crime' laws.

Rediculous.

I know homosexuals are sensitive and don't want to hear any objections to their lifestyle or agenda. But too bad.
LarryTGC
Traveler

Postby Exalted Ugu » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:41 am

You do realize that hate crimes laws also protect Christians, right? Why didn't this christian group simply hand out flyers? Why not just have an extra sermon on the weekend? Why do they feel the need to intrude their personal views into matters that really and truly do not concern them. Presumably none of these activists are themselves gay, so what do they care what other people do?

-ugu
Exalted Ugu
Townfolk

Postby tsian » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:00 am

And, just out of curiosity, I always mean when they talk about the "homosexual agenda"... do you see something other than a fight for acceptance and freedom from prejudice?
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Previous

Return to Twilight Zone