what is love?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

what is love?

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:27 pm

as sorta inspired by this thread, what do you think of when you think of love? i think of love as something that can make being noticed by one person as satisfying as being noticed by the world. unlike being noticed by the world, however, love, i believe, should also make confident someone who isn't - atleast around their significant other. for example, although you may be uncomfortable singing around most people, signing around your loved one shouldn't cause any second thoughts and should, ideally, be something that comes as easily as, say, singing in the shower or something.

EDIT: when i copied / pasted this from notepad (which is where i was typing it up) i didn't copy everything, heh.
Last edited by TerraFrost on Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:45 am

I think love is the point when you can't help but think about someone all the time... The point when you go out of your way to be with them, you do things you normally wouldn't do for any other person, and you cry when they don't love you back. That's how it is for me.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:01 pm

Love is really a hormonal disbalance which encourages the species to mate to keep the reproduction cycle going. But, IMO, love is like smoking, once an idiot/sucker get started, you just can't quit. In other words, love is just for fools.
[Don't watch here carefully]
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:57 pm

although i do agree with you that love is nothing more than our biology manifesting itself so to are just about all of our emotions. so what distinguishes the manifistations of love from, say, hate? are the manifestations of love what they ought to be, pursuant to our culture / religion?

as for whether or not its for fools... if that's the case, then shouldn't other emotions be for fools, as well? in which case, wouldn't most everyone on the planet be a fool (even if they didn't love, they'd still probably have some emotions)?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Drazo » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:36 pm

Most emotions are nearly impossible to avoid. Even if you could keep your anger down, it doesn't mean that you're avoiding it. Fear, sadness and happiness are the same too but love (for me) is the easiest to avoid, thankfully.
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:35 am

Most people mistake Lust for Love.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:22 am

I see love, like god/religion, as a many faucetted diamond. lots and lots of sides, each different. ;)
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:04 am

No offense Chat... BUT DUH.

Obviously. Everyone has their own opinion. We're asking for yours.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:23 am

Neerowolf wrote:No offense Chat... BUT DUH.

Obviously. Everyone has their own opinion. We're asking for yours.

that is my opinion. the question Terra asked in his post was "what do you think of when you think of love?", and that's my answer.
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:48 am

Most people mistake Lust for Love.

don't take this the wrong way or anything, but i think definitions such as the one you use for love make that kinda easy ;) :lila:
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:05 am

Love is really a hormonal disbalance which encourages the species to mate to keep the reproduction cycle going. But, IMO, love is like smoking, once an idiot/sucker get started, you just can't quit. In other words, love is just for fools.

Spoken like someone who has never felt the feeling or who is trying to forget it.

Love is a combination of hormonal, emotional and mental attachments. It can be as addictive and pleasurable as the best drug and also as destructive and painfull as the worst drug. But, there it is, the biggest risk for the biggest reward.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Drazo » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:11 am

Spoken like someone who has never felt the feeling or who is trying to forget it.

Never? Yes. But I was also trying to be scientific.

....and sarcastic for that manner :lila
Drazo
Heroic Guard

Postby Aulla » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:11 am

did we discuss this before? and i answered well and no one replied?
Aulla
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:37 am

might you be thinking of this thread?:

http://www.frostjedi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5134

anyway, i didnt post this threads first post in that thread because i felt that the subj. matter was sufficiently diff. to warrant a new thread (ie. i don't think a belief in soul mates really has much to do with what love is to people)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Cloud Strife » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:47 pm

to me love is somthing painfull...full of tragedey...
STRESS:The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire TO CHOKE THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF SOMEONE WHO DESPERTELY DESERVES IT!
Cloud Strife
Traveler

Next

Return to Twilight Zone