violence in video games

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

violence in video games

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:27 pm

i think it's a topic that's been hit on before, but i'll hit on it again, because of this slashdot article.

so... what are your thoughts?

i think that, for one, violence in video games may not cause violence so much as reflect violence.

for two, i think it could be argued that video games actually lower violent tendancies in people because they provide people with an outlet to releave their tendancies. if there weren't video games (or other outlets), people might well be more prone to be violent to people, because they have no "virtual people" to be violent towards.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:30 pm

Video games are not to blame. Irresponsible people, are, however.

If a parent allows a child to get an inappropriate game, it's their fault, not the game's. If a person cannot handle a game, it's their fault, they should read the rating.

Video games aren't a problem, it's the irresponsible people involved with them that are.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Cloud Strife » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:19 am

COmpletly true it's no one else is fault just the parent,guardian or themselves.and plus if you want less violence...get a gamecube it's more suitible to kids and youth and whatnot or if your just not in to gory stuf or violence. :ninja , :mgun , :box: ...less of all that :ja
STRESS:The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire TO CHOKE THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF SOMEONE WHO DESPERTELY DESERVES IT!
Cloud Strife
Traveler

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:54 am

a kinda revealing article...

http://www.buzzcut.com/article.php?stor ... 3222310861

among other things, they give an example of how context matters, and suggest that a majority of the people who think that video games are too violent have never played the video games they claim to be violent. the justification for this is that they can apparently see all that the game has to offer by looking at its cover.

unfortunately, if peopel could just soak in all that by looking at the cover, not even gamers would buy them - they'd just look at the covers, and be off, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Megafrost » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:52 am

Cloud Strife wrote:COmpletly true it's no one else is fault just the parent,guardian or themselves.and plus if you want less violence...get a gamecube it's more suitible to kids and youth and whatnot or if your just not in to gory stuf or violence. :ninja , :mgun , :box: ...less of all that :ja

There are games suitable for the entire family on every console, not just the Gamecube. And Gamecube isn't entirely void of violent games either.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Cloud Strife » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:55 pm

I know but gamecube is more for kids cause it only goes to teen ps2 is e-m and xbox is t-m I know that there is for evry consul if there's one thing I know it's video games. :8
STRESS:The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire TO CHOKE THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF SOMEONE WHO DESPERTELY DESERVES IT!
Cloud Strife
Traveler

Postby Megafrost » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:08 pm

You don't know video games as much as you think you do. Gamecube DOES have M-rated games and Xbox DOES have E-rated games. However, there is no denying that Nintendo is trying to get a hold of the younger audience.

But blah. This is kinda off topic. Not that there is much to say, 'cause Neerowolf hit it right on the head.
The universe is mine and all shall bow before the might of Megafrost, master of Orion, master of the universe...
Megafrost
Frost Blacksmith
Frost Blacksmith

Postby Neerowolf » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:43 pm

Yeah. It's like when you are driving on a one way street backwards. You can see all the cars going the other way, but when you get pulled over, you blame everyone else.

Actually, that metaphor sucked.

Oh well ^^
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone