what makes a successful message board?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

what makes a successful message board?

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:30 am

an increasing number of members seem to have expressed genuine interest in starting up members (well, actually, only 2, but that's more than there's ever been before, at one time, heh). so... with that sorta in mind, what do you think makes for a successful message board? or, perhapes more to the point, what makes a successful website?

i think good promoting is essential. first, you'll need to promote amongst your firends, and then you'll need to promote it online. atleast, in theory. in practice, the results yielded by online promotion are hard to measure. i don't believe a website can become popular, overnight, through promotion such as this. consequently, if it is successful, the results have to be gradual. of course, as friends refering friends is also gradual, it's hard to differentiate between the two, and to see which one is really successful.

and then again, there are some websites which seem to become overnight hits (ie. unheard of websites getting Google PR's of 7, almost over night). i'm gonna guess that many of those websites were around for a good while before hand, and then an already well established website mentioned them, and people flocked over to them. now, most people who flock over don't stay, but they may link to the site, which makes it that much more visiible in google searches. but, as i don't have any personal experience with this, and as no one i currently correspond with does, either, this is, like i said, just a guess.

also, i think most popular websites have been about specific things. phpbb.com - a message board with around 2 million posts - is about phpbb, ngemu.com - a message board with probably around a million posts - is about emulation, doom9.org - a message board with probably a few million posts - is about video / audio encoding, etc. there are countless examples. however, there aren't too many examples of message boards that are about nothing (in the sienfied - this is a show about nothing - sense).

finally, for the semi-successful message boards i do know of that are about nothing, many of those already had a well established member base that consisted of people the founder mostly knew in person. now, this will often diversify as time passes, but... time really does have to pass for that to happen.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby theprophet123 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:34 am

Great post but why is it in the TZ?
theprophet123
Townfolk

Postby Neosurfur » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:35 am

I think that this is a very appropriat post and I am interested in what some of you have to say, considering it is half about me :sporty
Neosurfur
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:36 am

for the same reason this thread is - so it can recieve a quality discussion. atleast more of one than it'd recieve anywhere else.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby theprophet123 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:37 am

Good point.
theprophet123
Townfolk

Return to Twilight Zone