what should we do with all those Nukes?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

what should we do with all those Nukes?

Postby chaco taco91 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:23 am

what should we do with them, like we have 200 something and china and russias gotta bunch we should find something creative to use em with, how about we launch them into space or something, the moon or mars, or how about the sun????
chaco taco91
Traveler

Postby theprophet123 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:32 am

well a couple things we have actually closer to 10,000 nukes... And in that case i say we launch half of them at the moon, half of those 'accidentaly' hit china.
theprophet123
Townfolk

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:33 am

we actually have around 10,000. estimates on the number of nukes other countries have can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ar_weapons

anyway, i think that taking the radioactive elements out of 'em and using 'em for things which require nuclear power (power plants, space craft, etc) isn't a bad idea. launching 'em to the sun doesn't seem like a bad idea, either, were it not for the fact that that'd probably be more expensive than it's worth (building the rockets, etc).

EDIT: didn't see theprophet123's post when i was replying
Last edited by TerraFrost on Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby theprophet123 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:35 am

but... it would be some much more interesting.
theprophet123
Townfolk

Postby chaco taco91 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:39 am

Hm 10,000 really, seems like a lot but i guess there easier to make then i though, did u here about the atomic bomb test in the mexican desert and all the sand turned to glass, that would be cool
chaco taco91
Traveler

Postby theprophet123 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:44 am

Hm... how about we we find out how many nukes it takes to start nuclear winter.
theprophet123
Townfolk

Postby chaco taco91 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:47 am

that would be like that commercial with the little kid and the turtle, and the little kid asks " HOW MANY LICKS DOES IT TAKE TO GET TO THE DELICOUS CENTER OF A TOOTSIE POP" and the turtle always takes 3 licks then just bites it off, good times good times
chaco taco91
Traveler

Postby theprophet123 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:48 am

well you could just launch one and if that didnt do it, then launch another, and if that didnt do it launch yet another one etc...
theprophet123
Townfolk

Postby Rapscallion » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:55 pm

nukes, nukes, nukes, nukes. IS THIS WHAT THE WORLD IS ABOUT??!! NUKING EVERYTHING B4 IT NUKES US?! why the hell do we even have that many nukes?? O.o
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Roadkill » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:59 pm

Because we are the super power. yes, the sand does turn to glass. Any major impact will produce enough heat to turn the sand to glass.

We are the super power. We, alone, are responsible for keeping the world straight as it is. On the world scale, the U.S. is the emperor, and everyone else it's bitches. We even kicked down our Uncle's in Russia because there can only be one emperor.

THe thing i like about nukes is they make sure that all the big boys think twice about fighting eachother, and if they do, they play fair. A total defeat will never happen, because a cornered animal will fight back with all it has, including those nukes. until effective anti-missile devices are made, this will always be a major threat.

That said, don't change things. But make sure a country only develops nukes when it actually becomes a world player. As it is, the little guys make them to protect themselves from invasion, and to be set right, by the big guys.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Re: what should we do with all those Nukes?

Postby BattleFrost » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:07 pm

chaco taco91 wrote:what should we do with them, like we have 200 something and china and russias

:lol Just send one of our nukes to them and the # of nukes would go from 200 to 0 do to the chain reaction and cause China to split from Asia landing next to Japan. :crazy
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby Dracofrost » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:50 pm

Though we probably do have enough pure nuclear firepower to melt most of china, I doubt we have enough to actually split it from the Asian continent. Anyways though, I'd say we'd get far more use converting the weapons grade nuclear material into propulsion units for a nuclear pulse rocket. More than enough to get a rather large ship to Mars and back, quickly. Dang international weapons treaties, getting in the way of genuine exploration...
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby BattleFrost » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:43 pm

Nukes would be less of a threat if people looked for ways to cure people from radiation. Nukes honestly do little of the work in killing it's the radiation that kills.
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:28 pm

Though we probably do have enough pure nuclear firepower to melt most of china, I doubt we have enough to actually split it from the Asian continent.

what exactly is it to "split" a continent? i mean, the only "splitting" we could hope to accomplish is more akin to digging a really long ditch. as such, haven't we "split" panama?

also, pursuent to this, wouldn't "splitting" china be pretty much impossible? i mean, the area that is damaged by a nuke is typically circular - not length-wise.

Dang international weapons treaties, getting in the way of genuine exploration...

i don't think it's internation weapons treaties that are to blame so much as ultra militant environmentalists who don't understand anything about radiation. the cassini space probe, for example, used plutonium as an energy source, and was subject to harsh protests from environmentalist groups like green peace. of course, they failed to realize that the radiation it'd release would be less than the background radiation we're exposed to every day.

Nukes honestly do little of the work in killing it's the radiation that kills.

that really depends on the nukes being used. dirty bombs, so-called cobalt bombs, and so-called neutron bombs kill, principally, by radiation. neutron bombs, however, differ from the other two in that the radiation they use to kill people with clears, (neutron radiation) quickly (within a few days). cobalt bombs leave a lingering radiation that renders an area inhabitable for decades.

however, the more conventional nukes - hydrogen bombs (ie. fusion) and fission bombs kill, principaply by extreme heat and by the release of an extremely powerful shockwace.

to quote wikipedia:

Much of the destruction caused by a nuclear explosion is due to blast effects. Most buildings, except reinforced or blast-resistant structures, will suffer moderate to severe damage when subjected to overpressures of only 35.5 kilopascals (kPa) (5 pounds/square inch or 0.35 Atm).

The blast wind may exceed several hundred km/h. The range for blast effects increases with the explosive yield of the weapon. In a typical air burst, these values of overpressure and wind velocity noted above will prevail at a range of 0.7 km for 1 kiloton (kt) yield; 3.2 km for 100 kt; and 15.0 km for 10 Megatons (Mt).

source
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby BattleFrost » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:32 pm

What is the bomb called that sucks in a lot of air?
BattleFrost
Frost Tactician
Frost Tactician

Next

Return to Twilight Zone