the human genome project

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

the human genome project

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:02 am

iirc, the human genome was fully mapped in 1999. however, what kind of map is it that they don't know which genes make cancer more likely? when they don't even know how many genes we have (as evidenced by this article)?

i mean, if i'm hacking a game, and i fully map a save file, i know what everything does. of course, i've never hacked a game so completly, myself, but that doesn't invalidate that point.

also, i can't imagine people claiming the earth was fully mapped before it really was - before we knew all the geographic features of all the world...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:47 am

The human genome project simply aims to have all DNA base pairs mapped (which is the part "mapped") and then to identify all the genes in there. At least, according to Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Genome_Project

From the article:
the new estimate deals only with genes that tell cells how to make proteins.

I see really don't see any conflict between the number of genes and the completely mapped genome. The difference in number is really more along the lines of the difference in how many genes are not "junk" DNA.

It seems that there are really two mappings going on...one, the DNA base pairs, is completed while the other, the genes, is still being worked on. I suspect that this is the real source of the supposed contradiction (hence, there's not really a contradiction, but rather a difference in our understanding of what exactly they mapped).
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby Gigafrost » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:05 pm

I'd edit my previous post if I thought you'd notice this new information, but considering you've already checked FJ...

Panda's Thumb has a thread about the human genome project:

http://www.pandasthumb.org/pt-archives/000571.html

Relevant to this thread:
You may recall announcements all over the place back in 2001 that the genome had been sequenced, but that was the draft sequence; 90% of the euchromatic genome was done, but there were still about 150,000 gaps scattered through it.
Gigafrost
Frost Weapon
Frost Weapon

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:06 pm

interesting. thanks for the info! :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone