US's future status as a superpower

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

US's future status as a superpower

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:05 pm

it is sometimes said that the united states became a world power because of its manufacturing capabilities.

however, since most of our manufacturing capabilities have moved overseas, i have to wonder - how much longer can we remain a world superpower? i mean, as we build production facilities in countries such as taiwan, hong kong, or whereever, won't they be the ones with the manufacturing capabilities if they decide to oppose us?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:57 pm

it's not just manufacturing power -- it's economic power. As long as it and its citizens are doing well within itself, it has no real worries of what goes on outside of it -- as long as what we relly on is still coming. What is most notable is oil -- america has cheaper oil prices than most of europe and asia, but the rising prices proves a rising reliance on the world around us.

America hasn't quite been streamlined in the world economy, me thinks, from what little evidence i've been subjected to. But hey, i've yet to take economics, so ican't rightly say.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone