displaying the ten commandments

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

displaying the ten commandments

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:05 pm

challenges have recently been made to the displaying of the ten commandments in government institutions. some think it's a really honorable thing to do, others think it violates seperation of church and state. i think the varrious states have had conflicting rulings about it, but the supreme courts decission on it should put an end to that:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/10/12/10.commandments.ap/

so, anyway, what are your thoughts? i don't know if i'd care if it didn't say stuff like "thou shalt have no other gods before me"...
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:32 pm

i say boo. Live by whatever rules you want you god fearing people. I'll live my way until god (or a god) decides to smite me, or promote me to head comedian.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby shahmask » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:07 am

roadkill, that doesn't say a thing about what u believe.

i believe if they want to keep it up, they should post things of all different kinds of religions. otherwise, take it down.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:38 pm

i think politicians should b flogged 4 bringing up faith in debates. and they should leave the 10 commandments up.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:00 pm

i think politicians should b flogged 4 bringing up faith in debates.

if Kerry were to make being Christian a crime (assuming he won), would you still think that religion is a subject best not brought up for debate?

and they should leave the 10 commandments up.

care to elaborate on why you believe this?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:53 pm

the government represents all pillars of faith, and thus should not favor just one. Perhaps all the commandments and books of all the faiths represented in america -- and this would serve as an exhibit 'justifying' (sadly, everything must be justified) all court decisions and rulings.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:50 pm

Was Kerry used as an example? I mean, he obviously was used as one because Kerry is actually christrian himself. That would be funny if he did it. :D

Well, my thoughts are that it really doesn't matter. If someone dislikes them, they can put something else up. They can put athiest signs or nazi signs or whatever, and as long as there is freedom of speech (and expression), no one should be able to say otherwise UNLESS it contradicts a law or rule or whatever.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:50 pm

I believe that they should not put the ten commandments in goverment buildings.
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:51 pm

ChatOmbre wrote:I believe that they should not put the ten commandments in goverment buildings.
They should put one. "Thou shalt not steal"

Too bad they would ignore it...
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:43 am

i think that it's one thing to put up a monument to some religion, but something else, entirely, to have a monument that says that people shouldn't worship *any* other religion (which is what the first commandment says).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Cloud Strife » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:22 pm

one thing I hate about my religon is that I CAN`T EAT MEAT ON FRIDAYS!but fish...i HATE fish. :yuk
STRESS:The confusion created when the mind must override the body's basic desire TO CHOKE THE LIVING CRAP OUT OF SOMEONE WHO DESPERTELY DESERVES IT!
Cloud Strife
Traveler

Return to Twilight Zone