Tony Blair

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Tony Blair

Postby shahmask » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:43 am

tell me your opinions and such on him. especially u brits, europeans, other people that have a perspective not from within the us, and any really well infored americans. all i know is i think he is an amazing person. from what ive seen, he seems to be able to be honest with his ppl more so than bush. he also seems to have an amazing mind as ive seen displayed in the house of commons.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby tsian » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:34 am

Well, he's admitted to being wrong... sorta.

Otherwise he rushed to war amidst widespread opposition and is now trying to ensure he gets re-elected.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Murrian » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:52 am

A Brit here!

I think he's crap. Very obvious in what he wants to do and always try's to look like "the good guy" when he's screwing us. Unfotunatly like many europeans say the american sheep will re-elect bush, we will re-elect this douche bag.

Imho politicians are very out of touch with what they are supposed to do and the general public they're meant to represent - all they seem to be interested in is appearing to be doing the right thing in front of the media while keeping there business interests happy on the side lines.

If i ever get to the point of being idependently wealthy - ie have time to - i would like to create my own poltical party, that represent people, that wants to improve the health service, provide better education and improve the quality of living (fighting crime) because it's the right thing to do - not a line you sell to get elected then go and blow all your money on a war that's not even yours and make your country a target for those that previously were just eyeing up another nation - one which i may say over history has long supported enemies of our own. (America has been a longtime supporter of the IRA and supported Germany at the begining and well into the second world war.)
Murrian
Townfolk

Postby shahmask » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:27 pm

my history may be a little rusty, but i don't recall the us supporting germany. we just didn't want to have anything to do with those wars.

if u want to bring in history, how about your unfair taxation practices of the "new world" colonies? heheh :)

anywho, the republicans here in control don't even believe in health services. and well, bush let the ban on assault rifles expire. and, every child left behind should be the name of his education sytem. overall, i think yall are luckier. hehe :)
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:04 pm

i don't really have much of an opinion on Tony Blair. don't know much about him (save for what i've heard shahmask say about him, heh), and... yeah...

(America has been a longtime supporter of the IRA and supported Germany at the begining and well into the second world war.)

i'm not sure if i'd say that.

from wikipedia's entry on the provisional irish republican army:

In the past the PIRA has received funds and arms from sympathisers in the United States, notably from the Noraid (Irish Northern Aid) organisation.

from the wikipedia entry on the continuity irish republican army:

The US government suspected the CIRA of receiving funds and arms from supporters in the United States.

as far as germany is concerned, the only info. i can find suggesting that the US supported germany after WW1 and into WW2 comes from the aftermath of word war i wikipedia entry:

However, American commercial interests did finance Germany's rebuilding and reparations efforts, at least until the onset of the Great Depression. The close relationships between American and German businesses became somewhat of an embarrassment as the Nazis took over Germany in the 1930s.

in both of these cases, it's private entities who are doing these things - not the US as a whole. i suppose the US could have done more to stop this, but when the US (as well as most nations) are just struggling to keep their own streets safe (and in the US, with acts of domestic terorrism, coming from the likes of timothy mcveigh, et al.), i think it's a bit unreasonable to expect them to keep the streets of others safe (so to speak).

incidently, the US may justify certain actions by saying that they're trying to keep the streets of others safe, i believe it's just trying to, for the most part, perserve it's own self interests (which i will admit, aren't interests that i think the US ought to often be proud of).
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Murrian » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:02 pm

Prescott Bush was the managing director of a firm called Brown Brothers Herroman (F7) during the 30's & 40's. Brown Brothers Herroman financed Adolf Hitler before & during world war two. Brown Brothers Herroman got involved with the Hamburg Steam Ship line, they got involved with a number of companies and front organistations that channled money directly to Adolf Hitler and they did not stop that relationship when the war began, as a matter of fact, one particular firm, the Union Bank which was affiliated with the Thyssen steel tust managed by Prescott Bush produced %50.8 of Nazi Germanys pig iron. %41.1 of Nazi Germanys universal plate, %36 of Nazi Germanys heavy plate, 38.5% of Nazi Germanys galvaised steel, %45.5 of Nazi Germanys pipes and tubes, %22 of Nazi Germanys wire and %35 of Nazi Germanys explosives. It was so egregious & offensive that during 1942 under the trading with the enemy act the US government took over the Union Banking company that Prescott Bush was a director of and seized the assets (that would be George W. Bushes grandfather)
- The Truth & Lies of 9/11

I'm not an america hater, just want to make that clear, also wasn't reffering to the goverments foriegn policy - i know it sounds like that when i re-read it, americans supported our enemies, not the government.
I just like these absurd bits of history we have - a guy indited for trading with the enemy during the biggest wars in recent times - his son and grandson become president - only in america :p
Murrian
Townfolk

Return to Twilight Zone