Id like to know...........

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Id like to know...........

Postby chaco taco91 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:50 am

Id like to know if u are liberal or conservative and why. this kinda posts bring up topics. And topics are fun
chaco taco91
Traveler

Postby tsian » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:21 am

Do you mean small l / small c liberal/conservative, or do you mean Liberal and Conservative (ie, the political parties as might be found in Canada).

Either way, I'm neither fully.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Nuxius » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:34 am

I'm middleground as well.

Like how John McCain is a liberal Republican and John Edwards is a conservative Democrat.

I don't like extremists (left wing or right wing), like George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Tom DeLay, Al Gore, Joseph Lieberman, etc. Those types of people will most likely never recieve my vote.
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby shahmask » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:40 pm

im not big into extremests either. but i am very liberal, but u won't see me tying myself to a tree to protect it.

i am anti georgebush type reasoning if that is what u are asking.

gtg. ill finish this later.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:55 pm

Tsian is more liberal, if anything.

So am I. I'm a democrat. Don't give me fancy names or anything. Plain old vanilla flavored democrat.

I just like the values of democrats. Republicans are too busy giving to the rich to notice the importance of the lower classes. Theres alot of reasons, not enough time.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:34 pm

i think, before people can really identify themselves as being either liberal or conservative, we should attempt to come to some sort of consensus as to what they mean.

for example, noam chomsky is often said to be on the extreme left - ie. an extreme liberal. however, does that mean he votes democratic? possibly, although i doubt it. noam chomsky strikes me as someone who'd probably vote libertarian. so are libertarians the true liberals? maybe.

wikipedia suggests that to be liberal is to be tolerant [1], and while i suppose that could mean allowing gay marriages (for example), because you're tolerant of them, what does it mean with regard to, say, taxes? taxes aren't something that can really be classified as good or bad. if they're good, then how much is good?

also, in contrast, what exactly is it to be a conservative? are they the antithesis of liberals - ie. intolerant? i suppose that could be the case, but then at what point does one become intolerant? is george bush being intolerant of gays when he tries to ban gay marriages? or would he be intolerant only when he were to force them into concentration camps?

wikipedia's entry on conservatism is ridiciously long, suggesting that it isn't so easy a thing to quanity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative

so, all in all, i'd say that i'm liberal, but that hardly captures the full scope of my (or anyone's) opinions...

or something like that, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby ChatOmbre » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:16 pm

I've heard that this is a good quiz for this kinda thing: http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html

I haven't taken it yet, but I'm about to. :)
Edit: it said that I'm a centrist, bordering on libertarian.

Centrists favor selective government intervention and emphasize what they commonly describe as "practical solutions" to current problems. They tend to keep an open mind on political issues. Many centrists feel that government serves as a check on excessive liberty.
Queen of the PointyShiney

"Too much ink is drawn to describe and define love. Why describe it and define it? Take my hand and let's just take a ride through it. Love is... Love is... Let's just go for awhile, leaving ourselves for each other." --Mike Smith
ChatOmbre
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:51 pm

i'm a centrist, too, according to that quiz. i chose agree for a few things (only once for personal, twice for eco.), middle for most.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:09 am

You guys are boring. You don't have opinions. Too many maybes. :mad

I'm liberatarian, close to the left, just as close to the center.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby shahmask » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:43 am

im a left liberal. it has a great description

Left-Liberals generally embrace freedom of choice in personal matters, but support central decision-making in economics. They want the government to help the disadvantaged in the name of fairness. Liberals tend to tolerate social diversity, but work for what they might describe as "economic equality."

that is definately me. i should change a few words and make it my sig :)

i did a run for bush principles and got right conservative.

Right-conservatives favor freedom of choice on economic issues, but want official standards in personal matters. They tend to support the free market, but frequently want the government to defend the community from what they see as threats to morality or to the traditional family structure.

i think that describes the mainstream republican pefectly (or atleast the ones that know why they are republicans. not the red neck hicks that are republicans because their daddy was one and feel they can relate with the easy going pres. bush)
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby Nuxius » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:46 am

Taking that quiz ChatOmbre posted, I got *suprise, suprise* Centrist. :lila
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Roadkill » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:48 pm

i could've told you, after having friends, and a recent discovery that heinlien was a libertarian (as he is most influential in my political philosophy), and the quiz comfirms it, i am a libertarian.

so lets kick some ass!
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby shahmask » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:08 pm

libertarians want nearly no gov't, right?
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:10 pm

They want a ton of freedom. I don't know about the no government thing.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:17 am

i'm from the "The Modern World Is F***ed Up, So I'm Gonna Go 2 The Carribean" party.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone