children as reflections of their parents

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

children as reflections of their parents

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:56 am

i don't know how wide spread the idea is, but there's sorta an idea that people grow to become as their parents.

a son will grow up as their father, and subconsciously be attracted to people who are as their mother.

likewise, a daughter will grow up as their mother, and subconsciously, be attracted to people who are as their father.

so, anyway, what are your thoughts on this idea?

i think that, although it may be partially accurate, there are some things it doesn't account for. for example, most people seem to be different in atleast some ways from their parents. i suppose one who adheres to this idea could retort by saying that those who grow up are as their parents would have been if they were youthful in this generation.

however, there are still problems with it. for example, what about social influence? someone who's been home schooled is much more likely to be like their parents than someone who's, say, publicly schooled.

also, if everyone were to grow up as their parents, then why wouldn't siblings families (if you and your siblings have families, heh) all be similar? are the other families but reflections of what one particular family would have been if exposed to different things?

(i use families of siblings as opposed to just siblings, themselves, to account for gender differences).

one of my government classes said that people's opinions are based off of three things - the values of the family that they were raised in, the values of their peers, and traumatic experiences. it seems like these things could not only effect ones opinions, but ones very life situation.

as such, the above idea doesn't seem as if it is very applicable.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:04 am

Well... I'm disturbingly like my mother and I certainly hope I don't become attracted to my father. Oh yay... emotionally distant, unavaiable people... that would be something to look forward too :p.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:55 pm

that's bull. i'm so different from my parents, i often wonder if i'm adopted. i have my dad's hair(yes Roadkill, i will b going bald soon.), and my mom's teeth. that's it.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Roadkill » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:51 pm

yes, i have noticed that. I will keep thinking in terms of similarities in terms of my fathers, and though i do not wish to end up marrying someone like my mother was, i do notice that i am attracted to the type.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:32 pm

i c.
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Nuxius » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:18 am

I'm far more like my mother than I am my father.

My sister, on the other hand, is far more like my father than like my mother.

So I guess we're a reversal of the norm. :lol
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Neerowolf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:50 pm

I look like my mother, but I act like my father.

And I kill like a velociraptor. REEEEARGH!!

I think I'll grow up to be similar to them, but my choice on women is ENTIRELY different. I like cute perky girls, like asians! ^__^
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:06 pm

asians r perky?
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby shahmask » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:46 am

id say i am a lot like my father and mother. our personalities are very similar. i guess in a way, i am attracted to people like my mother. other than total hotties, i am really attracted to nice, sweet, family involved guys but that are as intellient as my dad. nothing is hotter than a cute, sweet, smart guy interacting with a little kid or with their mom or dad. turns me on so much.

as far as what your gov't profesor says, i completely disagree with him. there are numerous values of my parents that i don't agree with (my dad was more bush leaning than gore, though he didn't vote, but my mom did vote gore). i don't believe i am very influenced by my peers' values (they were all bush supporters back in 2000, though all of them have changed their minds since) and i can't say ive had very much tramatic experience. id say my values evolved by what i believe is most fair and what is in keeping with the values of the united states. mind u, i grew up during the clinton administration (graduated high school in may 2000, less than 6 months before the united states made the worst decision it's made in my remembered life time) so what i thought were the values of the united states are much much much much different now then they used to be.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Return to Twilight Zone