beating a turing test

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

beating a turing test

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:11 am

me and giga were sorta discussing this after our CS class over AI.

here were a few of my ideas.

1. observing that nouns tend to have meaning because people associate things with those nouns, the program in question could look up a definition or a wikipedia entry for the word. beyond that, i'm not really sure what it'd do, heh. but anyway, it could use a context-free grammer to recognize whether or not something is a noun (given on p.93 of the CS341 book, if giga reads this).

2. observing that consequtive sentances tend to relate to one another, the program in question could have a memory of sorts. if, for example, someone asked it if it had ever been to the moon, and it said yes, and the next question asked how it got there, it wouldn't say something like "got where?", but rather, would say something like... "by reading a book!" or something. ideally, this should enable the program in question to make coherent arguments (maybe not good, but coherent).

giga had a few ideas, too...

1. observing that people don't tend to respond to every single line in an AIM convo, the program in question should be able to detect when a thought or sentance is finished.

2. observing that people sometimes are more interested in talking about a different subject then is currently being discussed, the program in question should, on occasion, completly ignore things people say, advancing its own convo, instead.

so, anyway, anyone have any more ideas or comments on the ideas that have been presented, thus far? :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nuxius » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:19 am

Well, reading your post shows one thing that is important.

A good AI should be able to understand mispellings/mispronounciations and multiple ways of typing/saying words. Especially on AIM conversations, where typing skills are at their worst.

After all, if it can't understand you, then all other programming is meaningless.

Rather amusingly, for more complex words, the best program for finding out how to spell them correctly isn't Word, isn't M&W or dictionary.com (all of which are terrible at complex words) it's Google.

Google would actually be a great peice of software to start for coding this particular part of AI. Not only is it better at guessing words than anything else, but Google only guesses one word, whereas most other programs give you a list (I don't think AI shooting out a list of words at you everytime you mispell something would make for very good AI).
Nuxius
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:26 am

Well, reading your post shows one thing that is important.

are you saying i had a lot of misspellings!?!? hehe :)

anyway, that is a very good point :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:55 am

They should also distinguish slang. I'd think of more but my brain broke. Ow ow ow.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Return to Twilight Zone