Trying to gauge the `Fox Factor'

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Trying to gauge the `Fox Factor'

Postby tsian » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:59 pm

WASHINGTON—As U.S. and Iraqi fighters surrounded Moqtada al-Sadr in Najaf last week, Fox News viewers were given three takes on what the Americans should do next.

Or, as Fox likes to put it, what the "good guys" should do about the "bad guys."

Over the afternoon, the foreign policy debate went something like this:

-Retired U.S. Army Col. David Hunt told the cable network al-Sadr should be brought out "on a plate."

-Bernard Kerik, a former New York City police commissioner and an adviser to the Bush campaign, said: "I think it's time, he's got to be taken out."

-Retired Maj.-Gen. Robert Scales: "He's simply got to go down."

Fox did bring on Michael O'Hanlon, a respected analyst at the non-partisan Brookings Institution to discuss al-Sadr and all interviewers did acknowledge that the U.S. military mustn't storm a holy shrine.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 8394944443

Outfoxed is actually an interesting documentary.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:27 am

However, a poll published last fall found that 33 per cent of respondents who used Fox as their prime news source believed the U.S. had found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Sixty-six per cent believed Saddam Hussein had ties to Al Qaeda and had a hand in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Of those who said their prime news source was the moderate National Public Radio network, only 11 per cent said last autumn they believed weapons of mass destruction had been found and 16 per cent believed Saddam was linked to Al Qaeda.

that's kinda funny, heh :)

although to be fair, that poll may be about as good a poll as a recent MPAA poll (well, they called it a study) that said that 1 out of every 4 people download movies. more info on that poll (and how it simply wasn't very good) can be found here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/13 ... ock_scare/
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:26 am

Yes, except that poll was done (I believe) by a non partisan polling organisation on behalf of FAIR... so it wasn't out to achieve a certain outcome from the start..
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby chaco taco91 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:44 pm

yeah fox is right wing, but 80 percent of media is left wing so don't give it any crap, its a minority in the big new buisness
chaco taco91
Traveler

Postby tsian » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:49 pm

Other than simply repeating the things you've heard a million times, how about explaining why you think, say, MSNBC or CNN is liberal?

What makes them liberal? What is your definition of liberal?
Vive le titre de deux.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby shahmask » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:22 am

id say even the "LIBERAL" cnn has been giving a very balanced view. i infact dislike how much coverage they're giving bush. it's starting to feel more like fox to me now.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Return to Twilight Zone