who will you vote for?

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:42 pm

that's what i meant. the whole election thing in Florida.
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:48 pm

perhaps some of these ppl that care more about someone's (legal) personal life over important things thought he was too close to clinton and the lewinski thing.

these are probably the same people that like soap opera's and reality tv. those shows have lots of drama, and to think that someone will be a bad pres. 'cause of their personal life is kinda what one would expect from someone who's superficial - ala a drama queen, or something - seems reasonable to expect from that crowd, heh.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby shahmask » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:58 am

hehe, that's funny terra!
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:00 am

heh - thanks.

Oh, and someone remind me when I have about an hour and I will detail all my reasons for supporting Bush. I promise you, they are many.

*pokes Cochon Violette*

not that i'll really ever know when you have a free hour, heh, but here's a friendly reminder to post your reasons, none-the-less :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Tar-Herunole » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:00 pm

That was one of the most wrong images that the US have ever given to the world. Around the Internet there was a story that said something like this:
"The son of the former President runs for President, supported by most of the oil tycoons of the country. The final electoral batlle, which is one by the son of the President is fought in a district where unexpectedly the voting system is not working properly. And there is the strange consequence that the Governor of that District is his brother.
Which country is this? Nigeria? Sudan? Venezuela? WRONG, the right answer was the USA"

Good things about Bush:
- He picks up good people to do the job, and gives him power. He is aware of his limitations
- He doesn't care much about keeping people happy. He just care for doing things right

Problems:
- His limitations limitate him to the point that he is unable to judge if the people he chooses are doing things right. Could Irak had gone more wrong than what it has? Does anybody seriously believe Bush environment has no conflict of interest in the decissions they take? DOes anybody seriously believed they have not pursued personal enrichment?
- When you are so determined to do things right ignoring what people says about it, you start ignoring what is really right. If you don;t listen you just have YOUR IDEA of what is right. And that is the main problem of Bush. We are risking to end up with a divided country. Those who are with me are Americans. Those who are aginst me are not. ANd internationally. not dialoguing with nobody, leads to each one relentestly pushing their way. And that is not good. We don't want islamist joining the ranks of Al Qaeda. I don;t believe in negotiation with AlQaeda. They are terrorists and have to be faced only with strength. But Not all Islam is ALQuaeda. The US should dialogue more with the Arab world, starting with being more responsive to the opression of the Palestinian people. (I don't say Israel is the only to blame, but Israel is the strongest party and does not need encouragement with a criminal like SHaron on top (Arafat is another criminal by the way))
High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth
Honorary Knight of the Pointy Shiney
"... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
Tar-Herunole
Elite Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:03 pm

What I think it comes down to is that bush screwed up, and Kerry would be better than bush.

Kerry has nothing wrong with him. In fact, the only reason people don't like him is because of the propaganda.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby shahmask » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:16 am

Tar, i honestly can not think of 1 thing bush has done right.

oh, and i think you're actually talking about iran up there :) . that's it! another group of ppl bush reminds me of. those backwards clerics in iran that have all the power in the country and supposedly all their laws follow the teachings of the khoran (though they are to the cleric's best interests as well). very much like our esteemed president.
shahmask
Castle Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:17 am

supported by most of the oil tycoons of the country

do nigeria, venezuala, or sudan even have oil tycoons?
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:02 pm

on an issue sorta related to the draft, the national guard - a branch of the army whose chief focus is supposed to be domestic issues and whose members are only supposed to work a few weeks out of the year (atleast for the army) - are being used in numbers not seen since WW2. currently, there are arond 160,000 national guard people in active duty, whereas during the vietnam war, there were only 6,000.

also, the so-called Stop Loss Policy - which states that the president may suspend retirements (among other things) - has been in effect since 2002. so not only are national guard members not being used for what they expected to be used for - they can't get out.

a lawsuite challenging the Stop Loss Policy can be found here:
http://www.sorgen.net/id19.htm

also, more info. on the current state of the national guard can be found here:
http://www.pbs.org/now/society/natguard.html
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:40 pm

bush, now quit your quablin!
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Rapscallion » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:54 am

u think we should keep Colin Powell, though?
:D
Rapscallion
Heroic Guard

Postby Roadkill » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:54 pm

i think that change would be bad at this point. Again, i have returned to it. Kerry isn't going to bring reforms i like either. But he could be another clinton, which isn't the greatest for our military. He may be a swift boat vet, but that doesn't mean he knows how to handle the military. He never was an officer, anyway, or atleast a high enough ranking one to get a feel for things.

Mr. Dean could be the guy who keeps that from happening... bahk, they both suck, either way. kerry doesn't make strong speeches, and he's rich, so he's doomed to lose at the moment. I think we either need to seriously reform or to kill the democratic party of today.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Neerowolf » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:13 pm

Roadkill wrote:i think that change would be bad at this point. Again, i have returned to it. Kerry isn't going to bring reforms i like either. But he could be another clinton, which isn't the greatest for our military. He may be a swift boat vet, but that doesn't mean he knows how to handle the military. He never was an officer, anyway, or atleast a high enough ranking one to get a feel for things.

Mr. Dean could be the guy who keeps that from happening... bahk, they both suck, either way. kerry doesn't make strong speeches, and he's rich, so he's doomed to lose at the moment. I think we either need to seriously reform or to kill the democratic party of today.

First of all, you're wrong on so many levels. Roadkill, you don't know enough facts. Kerry is a very strong speaker. He ripped his opponent to shreads while getting to be governor of Massachusetts. The only reason he might not be as good in a debate at the moment is because the republicans are limiting his abilites. They don't let you insult a candidate of his ideas, or any other form of counterattack.

Second, Clinton was ONE HELL of a president. We were at one of the peaks of our country. Sure, the military wasn't the greatest, but you don't need a great military. Grow up and realize that if you're going to defend a country, you first need to make it strong.

A LotR quote: "We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms." That son of gondor or something. Whatev. He was right. If you don't believe this, you'd be saying "Then lets use our legs!!" Both stupid and wrong.

Now, also, kerry may not have been a commander, or a general, or of any really high rank. But think of it this way. He has served in a war. What makes Bush any more capable of handling the military. The senate has basically came out and said that Iraq is a big failure so far. Bush turns people's heads and says that everythings going great.

If anything, Bush is less qualified to be in charge of the army, so why let a stranger to it lead a whole country? Especially since he can't handle it in the first place.

This really pisses me off. Almost everyone hates bush, or did hate him. Now that clever bastard made everyone hate kerry, and they forgot how much he sucks. Al Gore would have been a better president!! He at least would have pieced together 9/11. Bush's team fucked up. They were given the clues, but they still had no idea what was going on. It's true. It could have been prevented if they weren't such stupid fools.

Not to mention Bush is rich too. Kerry is great because he's even going out of his way to INCREASE the amount of taxes on himself for the sake of our country.
Neerowolf
Legendary Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:55 am

But he could be another clinton, which isn't the greatest for our military. He may be a swift boat vet, but that doesn't mean he knows how to handle the military. He never was an officer, anyway, or atleast a high enough ranking one to get a feel for things.

*sigh* i think we've been over this, but if the previous arguments didn't sway you, i don't know what will.

as far as Clinton is concerned - why should clinton have done anything with the military? it's not as if his policies were dependant upon it.

as for what Bush has done - what good has come to the military as a result of bushes tenure? he's proposed cutting benifits to those in the military, he's gotten more people killed in the military than any other presidet before him had done, after the vietnam war, and... yeah.

so i suppose you're right. bush has done a lot for our military. just like the japanese did for our military when they attacked pearl habor.

although i will make just a few comments.

both bush and kerry actually were officers of the same pay grade - Bush was a 1st lieutenant - upper pay grade of OF-1, and Kerry was a lieutenant, jg - upper pay grade of OF-1 (they were in diff. branches of the armed forces).

so, if Bush has taught us anything, its that ones rank as an officer *does't mean* anything.

I think we either need to seriously reform or to kill the democratic party of today.

bush sucks, so... let's kill the only serrious opposition he's got? <sarcasm>sounds reasonable to me!</sarcasm>

also, reducing this nation to a one party one is a BAD idea. primaries / caucuses (how ea. party choses who will run for president) will then become pretty much determine who's the president - not the election, itself. and since those are, in no way, guaranteed to be democratic... killing the democratic party would be effectively killing democracy in our country.

also, responding to something tar-heronole said a number of pages back...

No fair people!
The thing that is really not fair is that the rest of the world (I am Spanish) have no say in who will be the next "most powerful man in the world". His decisions will not only seal the fates of people in the States, but of people everywhere in the world.

not that this is gonna bring much solace, heh, but you can sorta participate in a mock world vote for president here:

http://www.us-election.com/index.php
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Roadkill » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:21 am

whoa, you jump to conclusions. i said kill it. I did not say kil the opposition, kill the party that's so powerful it quits representing the left.
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

PreviousNext

Return to Twilight Zone