last chance....

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

are you for or against war with Iraq?

Strongly in favor of war
33%
Think it is necessary tho not favorable
50%
Strongly opposed to war
No votes
Totally undecided and uncertain
17%

Total votes : 6

last chance....

Postby Roadkill » Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:21 am

peace looks like its not about to break, but like its going to snap. America has chosen to pursue the case of eliminating any possibility of Irag holding an weapons of mass destruction with utter vigilance. Only Britain stands by our side. The president of Iraq has threatened us himself with these words or somtehing similar: "if America attacks, such an event would happen that September 11th would look like childs play." But yet another thing that has faded into the back of the newspapers, if it is still there at all, is the unstable American economy. Nothing hurts an economy more than a war...

So it comes down to this... are you for or against the brewing war?
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby Javafrost » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:32 am

No one answered this polll. Hmmmm.

The thing is, it's not a question with a simple answer. War is a terrible thing, so who wants to say one is for something that is terrible? I don't want to say I'm for something terrible. Yet I don't want to dishonor those who have already died horrible deaths under the current regime in Iraq by pretending that it's okay to let it continue.

I still think the current situation is a whole lot like what we faced with World War II (where our country did not actively engage until we were directly attacked). One difference now is that now we are dealing with more "advanced" weapons capable of more destruction. Another difference is that we have the experience of all those other wars since then.

There are many who would disagree with the idea that war hurts the economy. Many believe the opposite...
"Endeavor to persevere." -- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josey Wales
Javafrost
Recruit

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:27 am

(I think no one replied because this was a duplicate of the exact same thing he posted elsewhere and either they replied there or --like Terra and me-- don't like the idea of the duplicate posting.)

Anyways, that's all really well said, Lefty.

I happened to see the news conference with Tony Blair and George Bush while I was eating lunch today. Both are intelligent men who seem to have the best interests of the future of their countries at heart and are not behaving like war-loving maniacs as their detractors suggest.

No one wants war, like you said, but I think people are so stuck on the "what's Iraq done to us" line of thinking that they fail to think about "what could Iraq do to us" .... especially if allowed to freely produce mass destruction weapons to sell to enemy countries and terrorist groups.
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:06 am

Nothing hurts an economy more than a war...

despite what MS may say at other message boards, this isn't true. The measure of the health of an economy is GDP. GDP is the sum of personal consumption expenditures, gross private domestic investiment, government consumption and gross investment, and net exports. If we go to war, government consumption goes up, as they are spending money on that war. Money that goes to weapons manufactures, or whatever. So anyways, increasing government consumption increases GDP, and as a result, is good for the economy.

Now... MS's main point against war seems to be that it destroy's goods. Sure it does - however, this war isn't going to be fought on foriegn soil. And honestly... we've had our eye's on Saddam for years. We've been doing, or trying to do weapons inspections ever since the gulf war, and... honestly... if he couldn't get anything to make us pay for Desert Storm, when we *weren't* watching him, and in fact, prior to Desert Storm, helping him, iirc, what on earth is he going to be able to get now!?
I mean, what's he going to do? Set fires to the oil wells again? Been there, done that. The environment wasn't even scathed by that.

And anyways, back to the whole GDP thing - so we destory Saddam's goods, but he can't really destroy ours. So that means that Iraq is going to have to increase their imports. That mean that everyone else's exports will go up, which will increase Net Exports, which will increase GDP.

War on foriegn soil *is* good for an economy, plain and simple... unless, of course, you can make a case for why it isn't.

as far as for whether or not we should go to war... that's another question entirely. is our economy so important that innocents must die? are we so self-rightious as to condemn others to death? and while war may be good for an economy in the short run (which is what keynsian economics is mainly concerned about), would it be good in the long run? if we destroy iraq, then what then? a war won't solve any problems - it'll probably just only delay them.

EDIT: i'm going to move this to the Twilight Zone, but before i do...

the poll question is flawed, which is probably why it hasn't gotten any votes...

are you for or against war with Iraq?

if you answer yes, then you are either for or against the war with iraq. so everyone should answer yes then, hehe :)

so that may explain why there aren't any votes, also. i've edited the question, too :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:39 am

It still says "are you for or against war with Iraq" and gives choices of yes and no. How about if I update the options?
<BR><center> "Snowflakes are one of nature's most fragile things, but just look <br> what they can do when they stick together.." ... Vesta M. Kelly</center>
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby TerraFrost » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:40 am

d'oh, hehe - i fixed it :)
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby Nyufrost » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:46 am

It still says the same thing. :p Anyways, I updated the options and I'm going to bed.
Nyufrost
Frost Advisor
Frost Advisor

Postby Evlfrost » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:46 pm

I would have to say that I belive that it is nessasary. I dislike the notion of war. But sometimes it is the favorable option.
Evljsh: You're young and thus illegal!
xXOkashiiSuruXx: -falls over-

Evlfrost
Frost Druid
Frost Druid

Postby Dracofrost » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:35 am

War is never favorable. But, perhaps, in some situations, not going to war is even less favorable. But don't take that as me supporting any sort of war. Don't take me as being against it either. I value my own opinion to little to make a desiscion either way, so I'll just decide not to decide, at least for now.
Dracofrost
Frost Drake
Frost Drake

Postby Raistlin » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:11 pm

Im going with War.....we can't sit back and do nothing......
Raistlin
Heroic Guard

Return to Twilight Zone