birth control in sex ed classes

Trippy discussions of moral issues, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other otherworldly phenomenon.

Moderator: Dracofrost

birth control in sex ed classes

Postby TerraFrost » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:58 am

the daily texan (ut austin's student news publication thing) recently ran an article about sex eduation in texas. under the current law, textbooks must focus on abstinence as the preferred method of birth control and discussion of contraception is completly optional.

that, alone, sounds rather similar to the law that inspired the snopes trial. that law, as i recall, said that books must discuss creationism, but made discussion of evolution optional.

an alleged consequence of this law is the fact that texas ranks number one in teen birth rates.

so, anyway, what's your opinion on this?

references:
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/20 ... 7512.shtml
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/20 ... 3670.shtml
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:30 pm

Simply amazingly stupid. To not educate kids about sex / birth control and similar things is simply wrong. Teaching kids about birth control means that the kids who will have sex will actually do it safely, as opposed to quite possibly doing something stupid and spreading disease.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Amiga » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:28 pm

We never really learned about birth control.. We learned about sex, in biological detail, but I can't remember my teacher ever saying the word "condom"..

Mind you, saying that, a lot of the year i went through highschool in now have babies.

Hah. They should always teach about contraception.
Amiga
Recruit

Postby Roadkill » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:34 pm

they taught about contraception for one day
the rest of the time we were learning the parts of the female reproductive system. ANd that twisted testicals is a serious painful condition. That's bout all i remember.
<center>The secret's in the wings...
Roadkill
Heroic Guard

Postby TerraFrost » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:53 am

i think they do more of a diservice to sex, in general, by omiting critical bits of info. in sex ed, then they would by not talking about sex at all. i mean, they're artificially instilling confidence in people. artificially, because the people their instilling confidence in really shouldn't be confident at all with the education their getting (because of the omissions).

if they didn't do any sort of sex ed, then although there might be more curriosity, there'd be a lot less confidence, too.
TerraFrost
Legendary Guard

Postby tsian » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:17 am

Perhaps... but no information can be just as dangerous... sex isn't "safe" anymore, kids need to know how to protect themselves... and a brief mention is better than nothing.
Vive le titre de deux.
In an ironic twist, the only trait I find completely appaling is intolerance.
tsian
Castle Guard

Postby Aulla » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:21 am

I think both birth control and condom. Because some parenst dont tell their ids anything. But they should push the fact about condoms than birth control. Because you never know who has what.
Aulla
Townfolk

Return to Twilight Zone